Giver of Gifts

Oh, how innocent I had been back then. It has been several months since the feast, and Naneth has given birth to my baby sister, whom I named Raeniel. Lady of smiles, or being fair of face. I stand next to Naneth now, holding my sister in the throne room.

"Lord, we have a visitor." A servant rushes by.

"Let them in." My Ada says tiredly, he has been working endlessly to keep up with the sudden demand for swords and amour from Forlindon.

As the doors open, I stumble backwards. My mother takes Raeniel as I hold on to a pillar and gasp for breath. It feels like the very air is being sucked from my lungs.

"Gailthîr, what is it!" I hear my Naneth cry out.

Even as she says this, the feeling of something incredibly dark comes upon me. In the wraith world, my eyes see a great light, but within an even greater darkness. Suddenly, a name comes to me.

"Mairon...Gorthaur...Zigûr...I-dae...I-coth...I-goeol...Annatar...Sauron. He approaches."

Naneth gasps. "Meleth! It is-"

"Ah, Kalaina, how kind of you, but I will introduce myself. I am Annatar."

Ada looks away dismissively. "What do you want Annatar?"

"To share my knowledge, to show you how to craft rings."

I see a shadow of flame pass through his eyes, and my Ada's.

"You...have my attention." His entire being is being assaulted by necromancy. It makes me want to be sick.

"I bear gifts that will make the most powerful rings of power Arda has ever seen." As he says this, Ada's eyes glaze over.

"What...what is it?"

Sauron holds out a hammer. "A forge hammer, my lord, to signify many long years together. Shall we start now."

Ada blinks, his eyes glassy still. "Why...why n-not. Down to the forge." I can see him fighting it.

"Ada! Ada don't! Ada please!" I plead with him. When it doesn't work, Naneth tries.

"Celebrimbor! Meleth, come back to me." His eyes flicker and a broken whisper comes out of his lips.

"I'm sorry." Then he turns around and follows Sauron to his forge.

"No! We are going to die!" I cry to my Nana, who comforts me.

"Gail, Gail, nothing will happen to you dear, we'll find a way out of this."

But her eyes hold uncertainty, fear and worry, and I know she is lying. I know the truth.

My Ada is under the control of Sauron. Eregion is going to die, and we will all perish with it.