Chapter 21

**Trigger Warning: Sensitive Material**

"So, I'm still waiting for this magical reveal."

"Well, hold your breath then and face opposite to the tree doorway," Lauren instructed.

"Oookay..."

"Watch." Lauren raised her heads in front of her to the height of her head and pushed them sideways while commanding, "Reveal!"

To Camila's astonishment, part of the wall disappeared into itself to reveal a cosy compartment, size enough for three persons. "Wha?"

"Step in with me," Lauren offered, supplying her hand for Camila to receive in her own. Camila graciously accepted and followed her into the small space. "It will take us up."

"An elevator?"

Lauren responded with a lopsided smile. "Something like that."

She pressed the button attached to the bare metal frame that held them up by the heavy duty cable at the top, and immediately the transparent glass floor began to rise. As they were lifted upwards, Lauren's arm comfortably found its way around Camila's waist, while her unoccupied hand discreetly plucked out her phone and quickly typed a message out. Camila herself barely even noticed the sly movement, as her eyes gazed about in sheer awe at the paintings and artwork that decorated the walls throughout their ascent. There was a story that they told   one wrought with pain and darkness, but that transformed into light. The most mesmerising aspect of the art, was that they were all enhanced by optic fibres that both illuminated and helped create the majestic pieces that fed into one another. "Wow, Lauren. Did you create all of this?"

"I...uh, yeah. Art –  drawing and painting  is kind of a hobby of mine, so I thought it would be cool to add. The elevator itself...well Alexa helped with that. She's studying architecture at the moment and helped me draw up the plans. She also knows a few people, and convinced a couple of her engineering friends to help with the logistics of building all of this." Lauren explained, her uncharacteristic modesty demonstrating her true vulnerable side.

"I have no words, Lo. This is fucking incredible! You should enter this into a design show or something."

"I dunno about that, but it's cool that you really like it!" She provided a sheepish smile, that Camila immediately returned with a far more enthusiastic one.

"Like it? I love it! When can I move in?!" Camila eyes were alight with excitement and avid fervour in reaction to the sweet treatment, pleasant company, and breath-taking scenery that had so far taken place that evening.

"Ha-ha. Don't get ahead of yourself there, Cabello."

"Far too late for that, Jauregui!" Lauren side-eyed her only to catch Camila poking out her tongue obnoxiously in her direction.

The elevator arrived at the top floor, stopping at what appeared to be a front door of a house. The glass platform almost perfectly aligned with the area of floor before them, that led to the door which sat a couple of metres away. There was a welcome mat that sat comfortably in the space before them, and there was even a little doorbell to add a cute, homely touch. Lauren guided them both over to the door and opened it to reveal the room beyond. Camila gasped.

"Welcome to my humble abode!"

The tree-house was far bigger than Camila had expected, and the interior was built using beautiful cedar wood to make it's appearance alike to a log cabin. Branches of the tree had not sawn off to accommodate the tree-house, but rather permitted to disrupt the perfect timber floors and walls. They were not merely there, but utilised in such a fashion that they became part of the design or furniture. One was used to create half of an arched doorjamb, another was helping in holding up the coffee table which was sitting in front of a couch, which also made use of two other intrusive branches. A straight vertical branch was even cut into in such a way to create the perfect easel which sat before a large window staring out into the surrounding area, obstructed only by a few branched leaves that swayed to and fro.