cнapтer 2

" Zoie... Promise me that you'll always protect me?"

Year 845

"Zoie?" I snapped my eyes open, standing there was a small girl who was the age of ten, with onyx eyes and a familiar red scarf wrapped around her neck. I sighed as I looked around the meadow remembering why we were here in the first place.

"Are you alright?, you seem uneasy" She asked worriedly. I gave her a small smile and nodded, she gave me that skeptical glare not believing me but as she began to open her mouth, small whimpers echoed in the empty field. I moved my eyes off of her and toward the sleeping brunette that was laying under the large tree. I walked over to the brunette and as I began to shake him awake, Mikasa called his name.

"Eren.... Eren" She said when finally the brunette looked up at us and yawned. "It'll get dark if we don't go home now" She said as she got up, As she walked away to pick up her the wood, I stayed next to Eren who rubbed his eyes and gave me a weird look.

"z-Zoie," he stuttered as i reached my hand out and wipped away a tear, i looked at it then looked to him with a worried look on my face. He looked down and realized what i was looking at.

"Dont tell anyone i was crying Ok?" He asked as he picked his wood, i nodded and turned to walk away when i felt something on my shoulder, It was Eren, he looked down and softly asked, "So you still gonna join the Survey Crops?", his eyes bored into mine. I kinda had the feeling he was going to ask me, this isn't the first time we talked about this very topic and i knew it wasn't going to be the last.

I remember one night while everyone fell asleep Eren and I were the only ones up. He told me that he wanted to join the Survey Crops and see the outside world, i sat there listening to him word for word, I then told him i was going to do the same since i was thirteen and soon enough I'd be old enough to be able to join, But when he asked me why I only responded with a faint smile. I nodded my head and with a turn of a heel I had grabbed the wood carrier and followed Mikasa.

After awhile with walking in silence Mikasa began to talk to Eren about something but unfortunately i was too lost in my thoughts to even catch what she was saying.

'Now that if i really think about it, after joining Eren's family two years ago, and Mikasa coming into the picture not too long after, i had let myself age, but come on I did that only to make sure my true self would stay secret.. I don't want to screw anything up.. Not like last time..' I thought as i went over the events of what lead me up to here to myself. Suddenly I snapped out of my thoughts when i realized we all reached to the gate, as we got closer i deadpanned noticing that Hannes was already drunk off his ass and it wasnt even mid-evening yet.

" Eh? Eren what are you over there crying about huh?" He asked as he leaned down looking at Eren closely. I cringed as I could smell the heavy scent of liquor. Getting over the stench i glanced behind him and noticed the other guards were just sitting around a barrel and playing cards, empty bottles scatter around them gave me the idea that they've been drinking all day.

"Did Zoie or Mikasa get mad at you or something?" He asked as he hiccuped, pulling my attention away from the other guards and back to Hannes who was leaning in very close to Eren's face.

"No! Wait why do you reek of liquor!?" Eren shouted causing Hannes to hold his head.

"Oi, dont be so loud" Hannes whined as he rubbed his temples," i got a major headache kid and i dont need you yelling" he muttered as he closed his eyes while he slowly stood up.

"What about your work? Aren't you on gate duty today?" Eren asked as he furrowed his brows. Mikasa looked between the two as I rolled my eyes and began to rock on my heels.