Literacy-Essential Tool for Self Defense

The ability to read and write is called literacy. A human that can do basic reading and write basic things like his name is considered to be literate. The person who cannot read or write is called illiterate. Being literate and having the basic sense of things is very important for humans. An illiterate person is like a blank paper that has no knowledge of anything and cannot understand what is written. We are living in a high paced world where everything is modernized. The communications takes place in written form. You require constant reading of material. Being unable to do so means you are dependent on people for understanding basic things. You are stagnant on a point which has no escape.

United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization (UNESCO) has defined literacy as the human’s ability to identify, understand, interpret, communicate and create by using printed and written material. Literacy is the mode that enables humans to constantly develop and get involved in a continuum of learning which would enable these individuals to achieve their day to day goals, take an active part in the development of society, economy and personal life and also develop their potential and knowledge.

It has long been the concern of governments to improve the literacy rates of their country and make the natives at least read and write basic material. Although, the primary sense of literacy still comprises of an enduring life long process that is intellectual and cognitive development which attempts at gaining meaning by interpreting the written text. The key to developing literacy among people is to promote their reading ability and to equip them with education because education is the future.

Literacy is considered to be an essential tool for self defense of humans. We are living in a society where most of our social interactions are based on written media. Understanding this and interpreting the messages by attaching meaning to it, all requires a person to be literate. An illiterate person is not equipped to self defense. He cannot defend himself in court, he cannot take a loan from bank, he does not understand has basic constitutional rights, and he cannot take advantage of the latest technologies because he would not understand how to operate it, he cannot take part in political activity neither he can attain a secure job. In short, he cannot participate in the race of modern economy and society.

About the author:

The article is shared by Sunaina Roy who is an active educationist and a career counselor giving quality career advice to students as per their skills. She is associated with an international organization http://www.iao.org/News/NewsDetails.aspx?newsid=79 that aims at improving education standards in the world.