Walk This Way

The Zombie rock sessions soon became a regular thing. Rob and the others didn't talk to me at school, but every day there was a note in my locker with the word “rock” scribbled on it. As time went by, I noticed the handwriting became easier to read, which strengthened my determination to continue playing for them. There were six of them now, including two twins, Kevin and Kallie, who didn't go to school with us. The other was Megan. By the third day, they were bringing their iPods for me to load up the music we played so they could listen between classes.

I was amazed at how much better they were getting. Rob and Allen told me their teachers were starting to notice. Test scores got higher and they progressed past menial tasks to more complex things like how to read and write full sentences. Part of me wanted to invite every Zombie in town. But the trailer wasn't big enough for all of them. So, my little test group was it for now.

It took a week for Garret to get wind of our sessions. I always sent the other Zombies away about half an hour before Mom was due home. Today I was glad, because fifteen minutes after the last one left; I heard a knock at the door.

“Garret.” I was proud of myself for keeping my voice flat. The less he knew about my progress, the better. “If you need help with something, I’d prefer you text me a place to meet. Mom should be here any minute.” I tried to look tired.

He waved a dismissive hand. “I'm not here about that.”

My stomach sank. I was afraid of that.

“So, I hear you've become quite the fan of rock music.” His face had an aggravating, know-it-all, expression on it.

“Not a recent development.” I couldn't resist correcting him before I hurried to add, “I have started playing the guitar more.” I wiggled my fingers at him. “Helps with dexterity.”

“I've also heard that you're not alone during your little concerts.” He waited for an answer with a raised eyebrow.

“Yeah,” I said and shrugged. “Some friends jam with me sometimes.”

“Friends…right.”

I tried not to let my annoyance show. Fixing an innocent expression on my face, I said, “Just trying to be social…you know…as normal as possible.”

Right.” He nodded, grinning.

I don't think I can put into words how much I hated that smile.

“Don't forget I have that little insurance policy. You start making waves and I drown you in them, so help me God. Oh, and put in a good word for me with your mom. We wouldn't want her to know about your buddy David.”

The sound of a car saved me from further conversation. Mom was home.

The moment she stepped out of the car, the expression on her face was nothing short of hostile. “What are you doing here, Garret?”

“Nothing really, just stopped by to see how Jack was doing…been praying for him.” Garret turned toward her. “Well, that and to ask you out to dinner. Think of it as an apology for my recent behavior.”

Mom walked up the steps and I moved aside. She brushed past Garret, but didn't say anything until she reached the door. Then she turned, gave him a tight smile, and said, “I don't think that would be a good idea.” And shut the door in his face before he could respond.

Have I mentioned how much I love my mother?

****

Lilly and I sat by ourselves in the lunchroom. It was rare that anyone else stopped by to eat with The Zombie Whisperer. I hated that stupid nickname, but apparently my game of kickball inspired some “creative” kid to bestow the title on me. Whether I liked it or not, it stuck. Today Lilly and I people watched, checking out the interaction between the normal kids and Zombies.