Chapter thirty-one

Chapter thirty one.

We called a taxi, and took her home. We let her mum know she was alright, and safe, but to keep an eye on her from now on. Anna went back home, and I went back to mine. I felt exhausted, tired, I felt like we could have almost been too late.

I turned the key in my door, and slowly pushed the door open.

'Surprise!' Mum was stood in the hall, flashing her new clothes and pointless jewellery.

'What are you doing home?' I asked, too tired to care.

'What? Aren't you happy to see me? Where's my baby Jude?' She said looking behind me, like I was hiding him.

Something just clicked, it felt like I've been building up years of frustration and anger towards the things she did, to not only me, but Jude.

'Happy to have you back? Are you crazy?' I said.

'What? What's got you all riled up?' She asked, making a joke out of it.

'This isn't a joke mum, you think you can just up and leave when you feel like it, like it has no effect on me or Jude. What about school, or my job that I have to go to, just so we can pay the bills around here? You just left, with your stupid new boyfriend, like you always do. You don't treat us like where your kids, you treat us more like we're just guests in your private mansion.' I said.

'Where's all this coming from Rune?' She said in a more serious tone.

'I'm sick of you not being a mum. If you think you can just leave all the time why don't you go for good.' I said, twirling my tongue around in my mouth, realising the sad truth of it all.

'You know, if I had called social services, you wouldn't even be standing in front of us right now.' I said.

She just stared at me, hoping for this all to be a joke, when in reality, it wasn't.

'I'm, I'm sorry Rune, I didn't think it would affect you this much, I thought you could handle Jude.' She said naively.

'It isn't just about looking after Jude, I can look after him, I've been looking after them ever since he was born while you gave all your attention to every man who walked into your life. Just because I can look after myself and Jude, doesn't mean I should be, I'm not a mum yet, I shouldn't be having to do everything you should be doing, what don't you get?' I asked.

'I, just wanted to find somebody who could take care of all of us. Love all of us.' She said.

'But in the meanwhile, you've been neglecting the only people who love you the most.' I said.

'I'm sorry Rune, I am. Please let me make it up to you both.' She said.

'Maybe it's best if you take some time out for a while. We can go stay with grandma for a bit.' I said.

'Is that what you want?' She asked.

'It's just probably for the best. We need to be somewhere stable, and you need to sort some things out.' I said.

'Can I atleast have one more night with you both? Just us?' She said.

'Yeah, I'll go get Jude and then I'll call grandma and ask if we can go tomorrow.' I said walking back out the door.

I went next door and knocked gently on the door.

'Hello Rune.' Sandra said opening the door.

'Hey, is Jude ready?' I asked, trying to seem alive.

'Yep, let me just check.' She said.

'Come on in. It's freezing outside. She said wondering off.