~ Chapter Hundred: No Time To Breathe ~

There was only one creature I recall that had the blatant audacity to defy me. A scrawny, little peasant girl who threw away my Yeouiju, setting me back many years until I found it again.

But she couldn't have been you...I crushed the life out of her. Slowly, diligently, until she was no more but a sack of human skin that contained crushed bones and squished entrails.

Yeah... I remember. Not that I told him that, of course, but I had relived the memory in my head again the moment he spoke about what he had done to the peasant girl. To me, apparently. Perhaps he knew that, though it did appear, just for the moment, that the great black snake had no idea who I was. I wasn't sure whether that was a good thing or not, but I guess surprising him by doing the unexpected worked well. I still wasn't sure how all of that had worked out the way it did.

I remember feeling strange, as if there was someone there watching us. I was feeling paranoid the moment I stepped foot in the building to begin with, but that feeling grew while I was plastered against the wall, trapped by metal pipes. There was something about the story Mr. Tabi told, about the White Imoogi they used to serve that made me feel uneasy. I heard voices in my head like I had before, a feeling of queasiness, and then- flashes of white coming from the hole in the wall.

What do you think you're doing? asked the voice in my head. It wasn't one of the boys. This voice was ethereal, and very familiar.

I'm trying to escape, do you mind?! I replied, seeing a pair of deep green eyes peek at me from the hole in the wall. I must be seeing things, right? I caught a cold, or my brain was scrambled by getting my head slammed against the wall just now. But, no. There it was; the ghost wolf, peering at me- glaring at me.

How did you get here? I asked, what are you doing here? I thought you said you didn't have enough energy left...

I've been saving my remaining energy for this. I must say it's highly disappointing to continue to see you mucking around like this. Is everything a game to you?

I couldn't believe that I was being told off by a wolf. Hey, I'm trying, okay! The least you can do is actually be helpful, for once! I had shouted back as I finally managed to get one arm loose.

Everything I did thus far has been only to help you, Jae, the wolf spoke and I blinked a moment. I couldn't recall the last time he called me by my name. In fact, this was probably the first time I distinctly heard a male voice coming from him, instead of the myriad of voices I was used to hearing. We both flinched when Mr. Tabi shouted at Suho. "Argh, wake up, kid!"

Hm. Perhaps not such a bad piece of advice, the wolf said in a bored tone of voice, gazing at me, appearing and reappearing from the hole in the wall so others probably won't notice him.

Shut up, I hissed, trying to pry my hand free. Why are you even here?

The wolf didn't reply at first, only watched me fumble in trying to get free. I caught sight of it as it briefly showed his head in the light and I startled. I didn't remember the ghost wolf being so big before. My focus shifted towards Suho and Kris then, as I tried harder to get free at seeing them being strangled by the vines. It was here that the black snake told Mr. Tabi to stop. It was here that Miss Kumiho stepped forward to ask why they shouldn't kill us now, and it was here that the ghost wolf had looked away from me for the first time, in order to look at her.

Why are you here? I asked again, trying to read the glimmer in his dark green eyes, not looking away when the wolf stared back at me.

You have never once asked me this. After all this time this is the first time you've asked me why I'm here.