Prologue

Cold.

That is one of the simplest ways to describe the foggy, rigid ocean. The water laps against the ship's side, gently giving the vessel a calm swaying motion.

Young Elizabeth Swann stands at the bow of the ship, peering out into the mute-colored sea, humming a song to herself quietly.

"We pillage, we plunder, we rifle and loot.
Drink up me 'earties yo ho!
We kidnap and ravage and don't give a hoot.
Drink up me 'earties yo ho!
Yo ho, yo ho a pirate's life for me.
We extort, we pilfer, we filch and sack.
Drink up..."

Mr. Gibbs, a loyal man of the ships's crew with a rounder frame and bushy grey sideburns, strides up to the young lass upon hearing her song. He puts his hand on her shoulder, which surprises her. She gasps and faces him.

"Quiet, missy!" Mr. Gibbs whispers to her in a warning tone. "Cursed pirates sail these waters. You don't want to bring them down on us, now, do ya?"

"Mr. Gibbs, that will do!"

Both young Elizabeth and Mr. Gibbs turn to see Lieutenant Norrington, an honorable soldier of the Governor Swann, donned with the distinguishable brunette wig as an establishment of rank, and his navy blue and white uniform. The governor stands a few feet behind the lieutenant.

Mr. Gibbs grows a bit defensive, and explains whilst pointing a finger at young Elizabeth, "She was singing about pirates. Bad luck to be singing about pirates with us mired in this unnatural fog. Mark my words."

Norrington rolls his eyes discreetly and assures, "Consider them marked. On your way."

Mr. Gibbs nods to him, remembering his position, and complies, "Aye, Lieutenant."

As he walks by, he murmurs to Lieutenant Norrington, "It's bad luck to have a woman on board, too..."

He looks back at young Elizabeth and finishes to himself, "even a miniature one."

He then pulls out a leather flask and takes a hearty swig.

The little Elizabeth then looks up at Lieutenant Norrington and says, "I think it'd be rather exciting to meet a pirate."

Norrington scoffs to himself, pitying her naïve outlook on pirates, and then walks to stand next to her, peering out into the ocean. "Think again, Miss Swann. Vile and dissolute creatures, the lot of them. I intend to see to it that any man who sails under a pirate flag or wears a pirate brand gets what he deserves—a short drop and a sudden stop."

Young Elizabeth glances at up at him, as he glanced down at her, a prideful and dutiful smile on his face. She then looks at Mr. Gibbs, who mimes a hanging. She gasps slightly at the thought of a hanging, especially to the adventurous people that are pirates.

Governor Swann, Elizabeth's respectable father, approaches them and states, "Lieutenant Norrington, I appreciate your fervor, but I'm, uh, I'm concerned about the effect this subject will have upon my daughter."

Lieutenant Norrington looks back to young Elizabeth, then nods slightly, "My apologies, Governor Swann."

Lieutenant Norrington walks away, returning to his position. Young Elizabeth speaks up and tells her father, "Actually, I find it all fascinating."

Governor Swann smiled wanly at her, worry flashing in his eyes. "Yes. That's what concerns me."

She studies her father, feeling rather disappointed that he doesn't understand her. He walk away, leaving young Elizabeth to her thoughts. Young Elizabeth watches her father walk away, then returns her gaze out into the ocean once more. She furrows her brow upon seeing something floating in the water.