Chapter 1: I Make Some New "Friends"

When I saw the tracks I stopped dead in mine.

"Sis come over here!" I commanded, "Now!"

"You know I hate being called that," she replied, huffing in annoyance as she walked over to where I was standing.

"Yeah", I replied cooly, "That's why I call you that."

"Come on", she whined, "Just call me Sara"

"Now", I said, getting to the point and my voice bringing out her curiosity and excitement, "Prepare to see the biggest bear tracks you've ever seen."

I step out of her view allowing to examine the record breaking foot prints. We were "collecting firewood" for our stove in the woods deep in the forests of Massachusetts. As I was "collecting wood" and climbing trees I came across these bear tracks. They were huge! I could have stood inside of them and neither of of my feet would touch the outside of the print. I was leaning against a tree in front of them when an arrow flew an inch in front of my nose and buried its barbed head into the tree beside me. As its shaft was quivering in the tree an indian about the age of my father came out of the woods covered in different shades of green paste. His short brown hair looked exactly like mine. He had a face that looked like chiseled granite. His bow was still aimed at me and the two bone knives in their sheaths looked deadly. I realized that he was a Mohawk. I knew that I had to be careful around him until I found out his intentions.

"Uhh, hello", I offered.

"Onhka ni:se", he replied threateningly.

"Um, OooKkkk", said Sara, even though she was acting cool and collected I knew she was freaking out and thinking of a way to escape.

Oh good, I thought, he doesn't speak English.

"Hey Mister Mohawk, say something in English if you are not going to let us run away right now", I exclaimed to him.

"He must be as dumb as the rocks he used to make those arrowheads", Sara joked.

"Hahahaha", I laugh as we both burst into hysteria.

"YOU IGNORANT CHILDREN!" boomed a voice from behind us.

Startled, we quickly spun around to face an older Mohawk man standing in the bushes. He had a weathered face and long greying brown hair. The mohawk was scowling menacingly at us.

"YOU ARE IGNORANT ...", he roared

"and at the same time amusing" , he said kindly as a smile spread across his face.

"You remind me of my granddaughter", he said as he pointed at Sara, but at the mention of his granddaughter a flicker of pain crossed his face. Then he stuck his hand out and said, "Parley?"

"Sure", I said as I shook his hand. It was surprisingly soft and warm. Not as rough and dry as I had expected.

"By the way", I asked, "What did your friend say to us."

"Oh he just asked you the question that we all want answered. Who are you?" replied the older Mohawk.

"Oh", I said, "I'm James and this is my little sis..."

"It's Sara", my sister interrupted, "And we're colonists from...."

"Shhh!" I whispered angrily to her, "Don't tell them where we live!"

"It's fine", said the older Mohawk, "There is only one colonist settlement near this area."

"Okay, we told you who we are, now you have to tell us who you are", said Sara.

"I am Adoteete and my son is Ahiga", he rsponded.

"Why are you here?" he asked us again.

"We were collecting firewood for back home" , I answered.

"How did you find these tracks?" he pressed on.

"I was playing around and stumbled upon them, literally", I responded, "They're really big bear tracks don't you think?"

"Oh", he replied, sinisterly, "Those are not bear tracks."

"Huh?"

"They're Windigo."