Chapter Thirteen: I Can Fake It All

After multiple small outbursts between them following the Demi's accidental overnight stay, Joe and Demi developed a mutual agreement that they would be civil with each other in my presence. I wanted to believe that they realized they were friends and arguing over small things was useless, but I know they did it for my sanity. It didn't matter who was at fault, their arguments always started with passive-aggressive slaps to the other's pride and quickly built up to claws being drawn and loud hissing with exposed fangs. No one ever got wounds beyond what words could do, but they became increasingly awful to each other. So much so that while they brushed their shoulders off, I refused to speak to either of them for the rest of that day. Demi and Joe were both quick to link the connection between the two events. I knew when it hit Joe. He kept trying to kiss me in the hallway after he argued with Demi at lunch until I physically placed my hand over his face and shoved it away from mine before losing him in the crowd of people rushing to their classes. For Demi I noticed when Joe would say something notably stupid or when he showed any display of affection towards me. Demi would open her mouth to be condescending with the arrogant tone she saved especially for him but then she'd glance at me, see me watching, and close her mouth. Instead she would glare at him. This was the kind of glare that sent people to Hell. They say if looks could kill, but this hold of the eyes goes well beyond murder. Demi's eyes held the heat of the sun that always rested in her back pocket and could instantly turn this world to ash. Joe would feel her intensity and stare right back at her, like the brave soul he is. The looks those two would exchange over time would be a full display of the Cold War between them.

Demi still left the cafeteria at times when something changed the color of light in her eyes. Sometimes she'd see me and Joe holding hands and would walk away, others we would just be arriving and she would suddenly remove herself from the lunch table, walking swift and quick opposite the crowd, sliding by my shoulder casually without so much as breathing in my direction. Even with her disappearances and complications in school, I could feel a change in the air I breathed when she came around.

It had been as grey as the booming storm raging in my near boyfriend's eyes and as dangerous as the tornado brewing in Demi's. The natural disaster that has been there friendship as of late is starting to create a death toll. Happy memories are being painted over with jealousy and Nick is becoming torn between bonds of blood and pacts of childhood. I could see the conflict inside him spreading like a disease. His hands and legs hesitate like he's reaching between two bears and his head is kept down to his meal the whole time. Neither of us know what to do. I tried to resist the feeling that this was partially my fault but it overpowered me every time I held my arms up in defense. I hated how they changed, both holding the sweetness and heart of a child around me and then they see the other standing in the corner and that side of them scampers away like a bunny before the sun becomes blocked and raging rain pours down on us.

The night that started the increased intensity ended at roughly nine in the morning, when the gusts of wind licked our faces while the sun appeared high in the sky. Both of us were oblivious to the other until moaning and groaning caused by our aching bones reminded us of the night before. There was a moment when only birds chirped, and then Demi rolled to her side and I opened my eyes to find her wearily looking at me. Her eyes weren't visible, due to intense squinting, but I felt her arms move around my hips as she raised one arm to shield herself from the death of bright lights. Her eyeliner was visible now, smudged from the movements of the day but the remainder of her face was beautifully untouched, pure golden under the light of an ancient god. I could only watch her wake until she did so, then she had to fall out before the rest of the neighborhood, particularly my parents, did. She was sure to come back to me after grabbing her board and helping me to my bed so no one would see the freak new kid sleeping on a roof. What I mean by 'helping' is she basically carried me through my window, tucked me in, and said "later sweet cheeks" with a wild grin sprawled across her sleepy face before hoping out my window like Spider-Man.