Chapter Seventeen: The Only Love I Ever Knew I Threw It All Away

I walked down the crowded and daunting halls at the end of the line by myself as I followed the stomping of hundreds of hungry feet down the echoing stairwell. To my disappointment, my boyfriend of nearly a month had fallen ill and would be out for a few days with the Flu. It happens often and without restraint around here when winter hits. The first snowfall comes when the temperature dips and everyone is trapped indoors like sardines to share illnesses like valentines. It's my number one reason for hating winter. I like snow, I like Christmas, I hate the idea of someone else's body fluids mixing with mine and causing gross, contagious aftermaths. As the pitter patter of the last footfalls flowed up the corridor, I lollygagged my way down the stairs while gazing out the window above eye level; snowflakes fell like dreams in flutters of white from the grey sky that loomed over us. At the last window before I would enter the cafeteria, I ended up coming to a complete stop to watch one particular snowflake that I dare call mine. It swayed side to side like it was drunk on a weeknight and twirled like it was trying to convince me to join it. I was too far away to see the individual pegs of its wheel-like formation, but I knew it was delicate, spectacular, and completely unlike any other. It would forever remain a mystery though, for once it is touched with life it melts in the warmth of a touch. I fixated on this one speck of half frozen air within it's crowd of like object until it disappeared behind the wall and I continued into the crowded space with the frozen speck on my mind.

I strolled with lonely on my shoulder and, after seeing three bodies at my table, anxiety at my heels. I quickly pressed the gas on my legs and sped past cliques and trays of unappetizing food and sat in Joe's place beside Nick. He was too busy staring at what was before him to acknowledge me or perfectly circular slab of chicken on a bun. Demi sat in front of us with her arm around a pretty blonde that had been cursed with the worst laugh I've ever heard. Imagine a hyena on helium and acid as it snarled; now put that noise in a person. This pretty blonde is Quinn Smith, the Varsity Cheer Captain for the Peterborough Lions. It can be put together what she's known for by her nickname, Loose Cooch. This Ms. Cooch, as I shall call her, does have a lot going for her. She's tall with golden locks like Cinderella that distort her into innocence and sea green eyes that remind all those who look into them of paradise. Except for me, I see Medusa with her legs spread, turning the small brunette beside her to stone with her lack of personality. She's got the curves, the ass, and the breasts to be on a sports illustrated cover and a body count high enough to run a successful mortuary business. Yet at the same time, she has an IQ low enough for even me to hurdle over. I decided immediately that she was not Demi's type, and something horrible had happened to my cherished friend. Oh, and I also decided that I hated her.

We have hardly spoken, especially since she put her hands on Joe. She told me I wanted everything and responded my walking away, thus stripping me of a piece of me I didn't know I needed. I've been fighting the feeling that comes with her absence ever since. Demi, on the other hand, has become everything I was sure she wasn't. Demi arrives to school in her fast car, late on many occasions, wearing the nicest of clothes and holds a heavy persona to everyone, shined and polished like a metal trophy. Arrogance and superiority drip from her mouth when she talks, directing plenty of those looking for a handout to her every whim. Her hair was longer now, cascading down her back like a waterfall as dead brown eyes killed the calming crash of water on rocks like age does dreams. I could no longer see the freckles of good times spent in the sun, she wore more makeup now. Any blemish and flaw that made her her was concealed like it was a mistake. She was still breathtaking, don't be fooled that any amount of ugly or money could undo the attraction that drew me and so many others, but that jawline stopped cutting long days and started sawing hearts into bite size pieces. The wings of her eyes made her fly far away from me, and I felt every mile. Nick did too. As it became clear he was going to stick beside his brother, and in turn me, Demi released the grip she had on their friendship, and it seemed like all that kept us together was the metal connecting our side of the table to hers.