Chapter 1

I sit at home doing my homework listening to Tyler Farr as my dad walks in the door. I can tell he is pissed so I try and finish my homework quickly so I can do my chores and go downstairs to my room. I grab my history book and stand up and walk towards the basement door before I hear "Cassandra Renee, get your ass in here." I lay my book on the table and walk towards the kitchen where the 270 lbs, broad man stood with his fingers running through his hair. "What the hell is this?" He says pointing at the pile of dishes that sat in the sink. "Dishes, that I was about to do once I put my books downstairs in my room Dad." He nods and walks out the kitchen with a beer in his hand to the chair that he spends the rest of his night in. I pull my hair up into a ponytail and take my hoodie off that I had on because it was cold because he had the Air Conditioner on when it was 30 degrees outside. I finish the dishes and walk towards the door, grabbing my book before I hear "Cassie, come here," from the bedroom upstairs. I sigh and walk up the stairs towards the door where I see my mother laying in the bed with a Marlboro in her mouth and the t.v. remote in her hand. "Yes, mom?" I say as I sit on the edge of the bed. "Go get my medicine from your Dad." "Yes ma'am," I stand up and walk down the stairs towards my father that has 3 cans of beer sitting on his side table. "Mom wants her medicine." "When the fuck does she not want her medicine? I have someone coming over so take this and get out of here." He hands me the small blue and yellow pills and I walk up the stairs to hand them to her and I walk down to my room. I sit in my bed and put my headphones in my ears before I hear "CASSIE!" I stand up and pull my hoodie off my head and walk up the stairs. "I'm coming." I walk out the door and says yes? "Where is dinner?" I didn't know I was supposed to do dishes before dinner then cook and then do them after. I turned towards the kitchen rolling my eyes fluttering them so tears don't fall onto my cheeks and I open the fridge grabbing the pack of steaks that I say out before I left for school today. I finished cooking and made my dad his plate and took my plate down to my room and sat and ate. Tomorrow was Valentine's Day so I got out of bed and chose my outfit for school tomorrow and then climbed back into bed putting my headphones in my ears and drifting off into a sleep. I woke up in a cold sweat at 3:20 AM gasping for air. I felt like I did on January 21st, 8 years ago. I put my face into my hands starting to bawl my eyes out. I felt gross so I grabbed the manicure scissors and slid them into my pocket of my sweatpants and walked up the basement stairs then up the main stairs to the bathroom. Once in the bathroom I locked the door and slid the pants down where I looked down at my thighs to the millions of scars that sat on them. I grabbed the scissors sliding the blade against my skin watching the crimson blood running out the wounds as I sat on the floor with tears running down my cheeks. I got into the shower standing under the water as I feel someone watching me. I look out the shower and nobody was there. I stood there under the hot water till my skin was blood red and then I got out wrapping a towel around my body and back down to my room. I didn't get dressed but I laid in bed in the towel falling to sleep. At 6 AM, my alarm went off and I got up acting like nothing happened last night.