Prologue..

It was a normal summer day at the Sports Park for everyone. The birds were singing, people laughing, kids playing on the playground, city baseball games going on, and the smell of hamburgers on the grill filled the nostril of everyone who walked by. Teenage girls were tanning in the sun and  the parents sat around lazily watching the children. Everybody had something to do. Nobody could get bored.

A small group of seven eight-year-olds were playing a game of flag football by the creek behind the trees and shaded from people. The water was the touchdown for four of the boys, while the other three were running toward two bushes lined up perfectly. Their mothers didn't have to worry about them getting hurt or into trouble, because they were smart and witty kids for their age. If something went wrong, at least one would hurry and tell an adult. 

But something in the air didn't feel right to one of the kids. After pulling off the flag tied around his friend's waist, he had a sudden urge to look under the bridge where cars were driving. In doing so, he saw a man staring back at him. He appeared to be in his forties and wearing short cut jeans with a polo shirt. His face was a bit repulsive, and it frightened the boy at first when he realized who he was.

"Jayden, what's wrong?" they asked.

"Yeah, what are you doing?"

"N-nothing," he answered, timidly.

They got curious and turned their eyes on the same man. The boys recognised him as Jayden's Stepfather who married his mom a few months back.

The older man stared at the boy for a little while, then motioned for him to come over. He did not look happy. Jayden began to untie the flags wrapped around his waste and placed it on the ground. The tention was high between the little boys and this man. This happens almost everyday.

"Jayden no, please don't." one of his friends said. They went to hold him back.

"Don't," Jayden said. "I have to go."

He looked down at the grass and began to make his way toward his Stepfather slowly. Everyone watched him and didn't say a word. This is the only thing Jayden told them not to tell anyone about. Nobody would believe them anyway. Paul was a nice guy to strangers. They saw his mask that was painted with lies and deception. Inside, he was a cold hearted soul with only one thing on his mind...

"Is there anything we can do to help?" a different boy asked Jayden before he got too far away. 

"No. This is the only thing that keeps him from hurting momma..."