09

As it turns out, I am physically incapable of refusing a night out on the children's playground in my fluffy-sheep pajamas. Especially when Reed Bishop is there.

In the hazy darkness, I see him, shining his phone as a flashlight. I raise a hand in greeting, spotting Georgie and Hale standing beside him, their arms wrapped around each other—out of cold or mere comfort, I'm not sure.

Wrapping the thin jacket tighter around my shoulders, I walk up to them, unable to fight off my smile that Reed returns quickly.

"Nice pajamas," he says, with a wink. I slap his arm.

Georgie sidles out of Hale's grasp and next to me, smiling as she whispers,

"So...Reed's here."

"Really?" I reply, in an equally hushed tone, "I hadn't noticed."

"Make a move! Hale and I will leave you two—"

"No, don't do that," I say immediately. "God, no."

At this, she draws back with a devilish smile.

"Okay," she says, "Maybe not, but if you two start to—"

"Georgie!" I hiss, and she backs away, laughing. I shake my head and trudge over to where Reed has relocated, with Georgina branching off to get back to Hale. The four of us just stand there, the playground sand squelching beneath my bare toes.

"So," Hale says, clearing his throat. "Why did you bring us to a playground?"

"The game is called Hide and Seek," Reed says, with a grand flourish of his hand, and the three of us burst into peals of laughter. He glances around, obviously fighting back a smile as if to keep a straight face.

"What's so funny?" He asks and then breaks, a laugh escaping his lips. "Alright, so maybe it's a little overused."

"Or maybe we haven't played it since second grade," Georgie says.

"Oh, come on," Reed says, "You know it's better than watching those sweaty guys trying to play beer pong with cheap tequila. Besides, what ever happened to childhood nostalgia?"

"You speak like an old man," Hale points out, "But I see your point. Can we—hide in teams?"

Reed shakes his head. "Sorry, but this isn't a glorified makeout opportunity. Singular players."

Hale laughs good-naturedly, whereas I can see Georgie's blush even in the dark. I bite back a laugh of my own.

"Alright," Reed says, clasping his hands together. "I'll count. You three will hide. The first one to be found has to buy waffles at Wham."

"We're going to Wham at one in the morning?" Georgie asks incredulously, and Reed shrugs.

"Depends on how long this takes. Maybe two, maybe three."

"Well, I'm broke," I add, with a smile, "So that means I'm going to be the best hider in the whole damn park."

"Language," Reed says jokingly, and when I flick my fingers towards his arm, he laughs. "Okay, is everyone ready?"

We all agree, and when Reed gives the signal, I take off.

I find Hale sneaking behind the swings—too easy, I notice, because Reed will see right through the gaps, and he'll be a goner—Georgina, meandering along towards the jungle gym, checking over her shoulder in an obvious attempt to find her boyfriend.

And then there are the slides, my eyes falling on an especially large one that is completely covered, whereas the others are open to the outdoors. I spring onto the small, built-in landing and rush up the steps, careful not to make noise. Reed is still counting, but when I force myself down and nestle in the crook of the slide, I can't hear him anymore.