Chapter 4

1 week later..

New York, General POV

Maya was heading to the subway with Riley. They take it to school everyday. As they were boarding, a boy caught Maya's eye. He was sitting in a seat with his headphones in, she couldn't help but stare. He was in her words, boing material.

"What are you looking at, Peaches?" Riley asked, then followed Maya's gaze. When her gaze landed on the boy, she understood completely.

"My turn," Riley said.

"What?" Maya asked, confused. But before she could get a reply, Riley pried Maya's hand off the pole and sent her flying towards the boy.

Maya ended up on his lap, just like when she did that to Riley two years ago, and Riley ended up on Lucas' lap.

"Why hello, is this how people greet eachother in New York?" He smirked as he removed his headphones.

"Yup, you must be new here. Everyone in New York knows this is how you say hello," She played along. He chuckled.

"Well, I'm Gabe," He introduced himself.

"I'm Maya," She responded.

"Sorry I fell onto your lap, my best friend over there decided she wanted me to not hold onto the pole anymore," She apologized.

They glanced over at Riley who gave them a goofy smile.

"It's all good, this just has never happened to me before, where I'm from," He said.

"Haha, this doesn't usually happen here either. This only happens to my friend, and I guess now me."

"Well what a coincidence, huh? Both of us take the subway today and you fall onto a stranger's lap and I get a cute stranger on my lap today. Definitely not how I thought my day would go."

"I guess so." She wasn't blushing, well you couldn't tell from where he sat that she was. She replayed what he said in her head, did he just say she was cute?

"Maya, our stop!" Riley called.

"Iaiaiisushhaywuey, Jsuuuwuwydysuwuiwis," The loudspeaker blared. (A/N: Jessie Reference 😂)

"What does that mean?" Gabe asked.

"You've never taken the subway, huh?" Maya asked.

"Nope."

"They said we're at Abigail's, the Highschool."

"Oh, I guess this is also my stop then."

Maya caught up with Riley and hopped off the subway. Gabe stepped down onto the platform. A blob scurried past him.

"What the heck was that?!" He asked, alarmed.

"A rat," Maya replied.

"That big?!"

"Actually that one was pretty small compared to others."

"Oh wow. New York's gonna take some getting used to."

"Nah, only the subway."

She walked off with Riley and they started walking to their Highschool. Gabe slipped his headphones back on and trailed behind the two girls as he was headed to the same destination.

--------

"Alright class, today in History we'll be learning about---" Mr. Matthews started. He was interrupted by a knock on the door frame.

"Hey, I'm the new kid," Gabe informed him, while leaning on the door frame. Maya looked up at the door and bit her lip when she saw him.

"Oh great, you're here! Class meet our new student, Gabriel Duncan," Mr. Matthews announced to the class.