Chapter 18

Abigail's Highschool, New York, 9:00am, 1 week later, General POV

"I admit, my last project assignment was not as exciting. But you've all passed, and with flying colours for sure. Today, we'll be learning about something a little more relevant," Mr. Matthews told his class.

"I'm sure all of you have experienced feelings before. And some of you have let go of those feelings, and don't feel the same way about the person. But, sometimes those feelings will try to creep back in. It's your choice, whether you let them back in again, or if you push them away long enough to fall for another. Sometimes, you can get over those reminiscent feelings. But sometimes you can't, because it's meant to be," He continued.

"Dad, what does this have to do with our lives?" Riley asked.

"A lot. It'll make and break some of you, but it has to be done. I hate feelings too, but seeing you guys suppressing them is worse."

"Matthews, what are you talking about?" Maya asked.

"Take a look around you. Take in your surroundings. What are your classmates doing?" He answered.

Maya spun around, she saw Charlie staring at Riley, and her back at him. Lucas was glancing at Avery every now and then, but Avery's gaze stayed longingly on Gabe. Farkle was switching back and forth between Riley and her, Gabe often glanced at Avery, and then at her.

"No," Maya said.

"Maya, they're trying to figure out their feelings," Cory responded.

"No. I don't want to let my feelings free. Hope is for suckers, and I don't want to get hurt again."

"Well that's what we're here for. Each time you fall, we'll be here to catch you. Take a shot, it's worth it."

Maya took in what she had been told. She let her feelings loose, and found herself gazing at Gabe. Gabe caught her gaze, and they held it.

"Is..Is hope for suckers?" She asked herself.

"Take a photo, it lasts longer," She teased.

"You know what? I will," He replied, and took out his phone. He snapped a picture of her.

"You're such a dork, Duncan."

"Well, I'm not the one staring here am I?"

"Actually you are."

"Well you are too."

"Yeah, but--"

"But I'm staring at the most beautiful girl in the Universe."

She blushed faintly, and looked down.

"Stop being so flirty, it makes it not fun to tease you."

"Well then you stop being so pretty, it makes it hard not to stare."

He slapped a hand over his mouth. She looked up at him.

"Did you just say.." A smirk was plastered on her face.

"No...I think you uh--heard wrong."

"No..I'm pretty sure you did."

"No..I didn't."

"Whatever you say, Duncan."

She moved her gaze, as did he. She looked down at her hands..Could hope..Not be for suckers after all?  Of course it's for suckers. Just look at him, what girl wouldn't like him? You're broken Maya, why would he want that, when he could have someone whos perfect. Let it go Maya, his few flirts were on accident, you're a charity case, She told herself.

She glanced up, at looked at Gabe. "I'm broken," Was all she uttered.

"Then I'll pick up the pieces," He responded.

"I'm a charity case, Gabe."

"No, you're not."

"Yes, I am. I'm broken, okay? Don't waste your time on me."

"My time on you, won't be wasted. It'll be cherished."

"I thought you'd say something like, 'I'll fix you'."

"I can't fix you."

"Exactly, because I'm--"

"Because there's nothing to be fixed."

She stared into his eyes, how could he see her as something that didn't need fixing? All her life, she'd seen people looking at her as if they knew she was broken, well everyone except the Matthews family.

"You're so cliché," She teased him.

"What, no! I'm not a softie!" He claimed.

"Yes, you're a toughie," She teased him.

"Wow, Hart, so harsh."

"Just how you like it. Or should I say, like-like it."

"Shut up."

"Aw, is someone upset?"

"Someone, or your significant someone?"

"Shut up."

They turned away from eachother. Gabe grinned, he knew his feelings for her were growing. Maya smiled to herself, what started as friendly banter, may turn out to be more.

Haha, I loved reading your guys' guesses in the last chapter! I hope you enjoyed this chapter, I know it was a bit cringey at parts, lol. And sneak peek of the next chapter? Let's just say, something big's gonna happen. So I hope to see you in the next chapter, byeeeee!