Hadley

"Leaving?" Hadley echoed in disbelief, "Leaving to go where?"

"I..." Will seemed to consider the question, "I don't know."

"Liar." Hadley called his bluff.

"I'm not lying! I know it's somewhere in the city but I don't know exactly where. And I'm not supposed to be telling you this." Will looked nervous.

"So now you don't trust me." Hadley looked up at him reproachfully.

"Of course I do." Will looked exasperated now, "I'm just so nervous I'm going to do something to mess this up and I really want to make a difference."

Hadley nodded numbly.

"So that's it then. You're leaving."

"I'm sure I'll be back." Will said gently.

"When?"

"Well...I'm not exactly sure but I will be back Had, I promise."

Hadley felt like crying. They were taking her best friend away from her. What would she do without Will? How would she survive? Life would be so boring.

"When are you...going?" she asked finally.

"At midnight."

"Is someone taking you or?"

"No apparently they didn't have anyone to spare so they gave me instructions and," Will swallowed, "I'll figure it out." He looked around furtively the spoke quietly, "Let's walk through the fields for a minute okay?"

Hadley nodded and followed in silence until they were at the base of the mountains where the trees began at the back of the farm fields.

"I have to find a girl called Gemma. They said since I got my Power back, I can be of use in the city, where they're larger units are. And this girl apparently leads one. They said she'll know how to use me for the most impact."

"The most impact? Will what does that mean? Isn't this dangerous? Something could happen to you! Something bad!" Hadley was agitated now, gesturing wildly.

"Hadley I'm going to be fine. I won't lie to you and say it isn't dangerous, but I'm a smart guy. I know when to run. I promise, you will see me again, don't worry!" Will put his arms around her and as much as Hadley wanted to fight it, she relaxed into him, feeling the security in his embrace.

"Will?" she said after a moment.

"What?" she felt his chin shift as he looked down at her.

Hadley looked up into his eyes, "Promise you'll come back?"

"I promise Hadley." and then, before Hadley even knew what was happening, they were kissing.

His hands were in her hair and Hadley's heart soared. She hadn't even known she'd wanted Will to kiss her until he had, and now she could feel her addiction to the sensation beginning. As they came up for air Hadley teased him, "You're going to leave me with that!?"

"I don't know," Will was grinning now, he looked truly happy, "I always say go out with a bang!" and he kissed her again, quicker this time.

"I wish I could just stay here with you, like this, forever." she told him longingly.

"I do too Had. But the world needs us...both of us."

"It seems like the world needs you a little more than it needs me." Hadley grumbled.

"That's not true!" Will insisted, "I heard about what you're doing after school! I know you're plotting something with that Powers Practice club Had! Just because you're making a difference in a different way than I am, doesn't mean it doesn't matter!"