Chapter 5

The seven people sat in the waiting room, the atmosphere tense and uncomfortable. They had been minding their own business in their large apartment when a group of government agents practically broke into their house, telling them that the Third World War is at hand. No one actually believed them, until a call confirming their worst nighmares. Afterwards, they were taken to the middle of hell knows where, their whereabouts known only to the heads of the government, including the president himself, a place dubbed the Braginsky Apocalypse Home. As of now, they were waiting for a certain Russian male and his business partner, impatiently. That was until they heard the sound of a car outside.

"Do you think it's them?" Natalia, the youngest female, asked.

"It has to be. The States wouldn't have gotten here this fast." Gilbert replied to her, and cracked the door open slightly. To everyone's uttermost delight, a jet black Toyota Venza parked in front of the building.

"Big Brother, you're back!" The Belarussian female happily exclaimed, being the first one to exit the house.

"Thank god they're all here." Ivan muttered under his breath as he and Yao got out of the front seats.

"I'm so glad you're safe!" Katerina pulled the two in a hug, "it certainly did take you a while to arrive."

"They evacuated us after the public got informed. Plus, Istra is quite far from here, you know." Her brother replied, walking to the entrance.

"Well, I'm happy you got here unharmed. Horrible things are happening in Vladivostok right now." She took a deep breath, not letting herself lose control over her emotions in such a situation.

"Yeah, the Kremlin just called. They told us that they've sent multiple squads there, but we still need to be very cautious." Gilbert stated, whilst the group made sure all doors to the house were locked, even though they were all aware that if anything does happen, those locks will do absolutely nothing.

"This seems like a weird thing to ask, but wouldn't this cause physical damage to you? Since you're the personification of Russia, and personifications are tied to their land?" Toris asked worriedly.

"I haven't felt anything for the past few months, this isn't a as big of an impact on my physical health as it is on my mental." Ivan replied.

A silence arose in the room once again, a sound unbearable to all of the people present.

"Are we just going to stand like this? Not do anything while the world develops in yet another war? Back in my days, everyone would rise and help their homeland." Gilbert remarked at the atmosphere, bitterly.

"That's why the Teutons lost so many wars." Lena snickered, while the male looked at her in disbelief, "But he's right. We can't just sit around and watch our citizens struggle for their lives. We've lived a millennium on this planet, we know how to end this well."

"We can't be strong and heroic if we're dead. Sure, personifications are immortal, but only to some extent. I don't think we'll be left in the living if they nuke the everloving shit out of us." Ivan declared, "We can help the Kremlin, but from a distance, and this distance is far enough."

***

The group sat a large iroko table, in attempts to comprehend the events happening around them. No one was speaking, nor did they feel the need to. The nerve-racking atmosphere did a good job with that. The government's actions were unclear, and they couldn't do anything about it, for they were in the middle of hell knows where, forbidden to move out of the iron fence they were placed in.

"Hey, the Kremlin said they weren't going to come here too often, right?" Yao asked, his voice barely a whisper.

"I think so. What about it?" Ivan replied, as the others looked at the pair.

"Nothing too bad, but when do you think our rations will end and we won't have anything to eat?" The Chinese male half-sarcastically asked, as a wave of realization hit the group. If they consumed food and toiletaries like they did back in Moscow, they would run out of supplies in a week. This question seemed to drive Ivan over the edge. He abruptly stood up and slammed his hands on the table, making the rest of the group flinch.

"We'll figure something out. I don't know how we're going to do it, but we will. I'm done with today for now. Call me if anyone dies." He bitterly spat and walked out of the room, up the stairs and into whatever room was closest to his sorrowful heart, leaving the rest sitting in an awkward silence.

"Dear God, this is going to be the end." Katerina whispered under her breath.

"Katya" Natalia lifted her head up to face her sister, "We know."

"The thing is, this time, we're stuck here, and we're unable to fight. I'm not sure if this is good or bad, but it definetly changes lots of things." Eduard stated, attempting to sound more positive.

"I won't be surprised if they don't let us participate in the war, or worse yet, kill us off in the beginning." Toris melancholically remarked, this causing another outburst from the German male.

"You know, instead of discussing our future deaths, we could look around this hellish place and at least make some sort of an effort to prevent them." Gilbert twitched his eyebrow, as the rest of the group sat quietly, figuring that this was a rather clever idea.

"He's right. We can divide into groups and scout the place. Then come back with anything useful we find." Katerina proclaimed.

"What about your brother?" Yao asked the blonde.

"We can tell him about the details later. As you can see, he's not in the best mood right now."

"Moods aren't relevant when it's a matter of life or death." Gilbert declared and walked out the dining room's door.

Lena sighed and stood up next, "Let's hurry. The sun is going to set soon."

The group carefully moved out, grabbing their coats from the spacious wardrobe, riddled with large irrors resmbling strict Soviet designs. The mere fact that this residence was deserted for over sixty years made everything seem a lot more eerie. Hell knows who, or what, for that matter, could've gotten in the house during that time. As they all walked outside, they noticed distant, almost non-existant noise coming from the nearest populated area, which was over fifty kilometers away. It was quite terrifying, to know that somewhere, someone, is making those sounds. Sounds created by angst, fear, and anger. The personifications almost seemed to get lost in the moment before a cough from the albino male drew their attention back to reality.

"If we want to be even slightly successful in this, we need to do it fast but thourly. Let's just divide into groups and search different areas. The North, South, West, and East regions of the place."

"I'll go alone." Yao stated, looking the Prussian in the eye.

"No one is going alone." Gilbert put as much emphasis on the phrase as he could. "We don't know what the hell might be hiding in here, but whatever it is, trust me, it isn't good."

That seemed to be the end of Yao's argumantal points, so he seemed to give up.

"We'll meet here when the sun reaches the peak of the horizon. Good luck." Gilbert looked up at the now fire-colored orb in the sky, and with the end of his words, the personifications split up, searching for something that might not have been there in the first place.