Chapter 8

Barking, through dead of the night woke up the young Karelian girl. Unsure about it at first, she began to closely listen again. Of course, there it was. Their dog, Zvezda, was barking as loudly as ever. Taking quiet, minuscule steps, in an attempt not to wake up her roommate and possibly not to let whatever Zvezda was barking at notice her, Lena crept up to the window and looked through a small space in the blinds. There, in the cold, dark night, stood exactly two bright lights near the gate of the residence. A car. Someone had discovered their whereabouts. Not even a split second later, Lena was in attempts to wake up the albino, which didn't take too long.

"Gil. Gilbert, wake up." She whisper-yelled.

"What? Lena, what the hell is going on?" The male mumbled sleepily.

"Listen, there's a car near the gates and I have no idea who or what is in it. If it's the States, we're done for." She frantically pointed in the direction of the window. Gilbert did't take long to register the fact, and leaped out of bed, looking through the window for himself. Sure enough, the car was still there.

"Lena, wake up your brother and Yao. I'll tell you if it starts moving near the house." He commanded, not taking his ruby eyes off the sight. Lena nodded and darted into the neighboring room.

"Vanya, there's someone at the gates. They're in a car." She shook her brother awake.

"You have got to be kidding. How would anyone find us?" Ivan didn't move an inch, his cheeks rosy and his voice in a daze-like state.

"Still drunk, are we? It's kinda sad that I have a bastard for a brother." She angrily spat and continued her efforts to wake up her brother's partner.

"Yao, you need to wake up right now." Lena had lost her patience and tore the blanket off of the Chinese male, making him sit up in annoyance.

"I went to bed at three in the morning, Lena. Let me sleep."

"You'll both be sleeping in your graves soon if you don't get up right this second and see what the shit is going on." She stated strictly, placing her arms on her hips. Sighing, Yao got out of bed and walked to the window, opening the blinds completely, the dim front yard's landscape uncovering itself.

"What are you doing?! Are you trying to place the final nail in our coffins?!" Lena threw the blinds shut, but Yao just stood there, a terrified look on his face, staring into blank space. He seemed to hold his breath, and he could've sworn that his heart skipped a beat. Suddenly, he charged back to the bed, picking up Ivan by the collar of his shirt.

"Get the hell up! The States are here!" Yao yelled, the Russian male opened his eyes as fast as a bullet, standing up himself, but almost falling, for the alcohol hadn't completely washed out of his system yet.

"What? Why didn't you tell me before?" He exclaimed, as Lena just looked at him in disbelief.

"Look, we have to make a decision fast. Are we going to go out and get shot or stay here and protect the things and people we hold dear?" She asked, crossing her arms.

"Luckily for us, I don't hold things dear." The group turned to see Gilbert at the door, "I hold guns instead."

The albino pulled out a sniper rifle, two AK-102s, and an IG-38, "You know, this place isn't so bad when you find an arsenal of weapons behind the dresser."

"I'm not even sure if that's a good or a bad thing." Lena commented.

"Maybe both, but that's not the point here." Gilbert walked up to the group, weapons in hand, "Alright, so Ivan, Yao, and I will slowly approach the car, but we don't let them know of our presence, and Lena will cover us from the second roof. If it's the States, we shoot and call everyone else for backup, there's enough weapons in here for a single troop."