Chapter Two

I whipped my black handbag over my shoulder while making my way out of the hair salon

I whipped my black handbag over my shoulder while making my way out of the hair salon. As weird as it felt no longer having heavy, waist length hair, I felt fresh having new hair. It was almost as if I was cutting away my past turmoils. Having just moved to a new state, a fresh start was in order. My Mother and Step-Fathers divorce was finalised a month ago, I stayed to support my Mom in her time of grief before I announced to her that I was moving to New York. It wasn't easy for her to come to terms with, she had been trying to convince Nevada to live at home for years that she didn't even think I would be moving out anytime soon. Little did she know, I had been saving up for this since I was sixteen and working at Wendy's.

I was renting an apartment just across from Central Park. It was expensive, very expensive, but I had the money with the help of my roommate who I was yet to meet.

On Monday I was starting a new job, a magazine had hired me to do an advice column after seeing some of my work for my college newspaper, the pay was a decent $26 per hour, 40 hours a week. I would be busy, but it's not like there was anything else in my life to really spend my time on. Exploring New York was on my list of things to do though, after getting my hair cut.

I wasn't sure why getting my haircut was such a big deal to me. I think in a way, I was just happy that I wouldn't have to spend an hour styling it anymore every morning. Braiding it was being proven a harder task every time I attempted to plait my hair, I felt as if my arms were the size of The Incredible Hulk once I was done with the style.

Not anymore though. Now I could just throw the shoulder length bob into a bun or pony tail, or quickly run a straightening iron through it if I was really trying to make an impression. I didn't have to worry about laying on it wrong in my sleep, accidentally getting it caught in my bag strap, and hitting people with it when I turned my head.

I was a free woman, no longer trapped by my hair.

I silently laughed at the statement to myself. As if it was my hair that had been holding me back all this time, and not my broken home or overly attached Mother. I wasn't going to miss being in that environment. Of course I would miss my little sister, who was at the peak of her teen years and needed an older sister who has her head on her shoulders, but we would still keep in contact. I had promised Hannah before I left that I would FaceTime her once a day before I go to sleep. The time difference wasn't too drastic, just a few hours between the two of us, so we would manage.

The scent of fresh hot-dogs caught my attention as I walked along the street that my apartment was on. As tempted as I was to stop and get one, I was eager to rush home to meet my roommate who was arriving today. The woman who I would be living with had just moved out with her, now ex, boyfriend. So far we had only spoken on the phone, but she seemed like a nice lady, her name was Fallon and from what I could tell, we were going to get along just fine.

As long as she doesn't bring home random men and have obnoxiously loud sex in the room next to me, then I think we will be fine. I guess that meant changing my rules on one night stands too. Although I wasn't obnoxiously loud in bed, it would still be weird, unless I went to their place of course which is what I would usually do anyway.