Chapter Eight

Quick recap: Wilmer and Fallon broke up and Wilmer invited Demi to spend the long weekend with him and his family to act as his fake girlfriend.

The flight was bumpy and turbulence filled, it had me wondering if that was a metaphor for this weekend. Was I going to make it out alive? I took another sip of the coffee that Wilmer had bought me at the airport, the taste of caffeine gliding along my tongue. I had waited at least half an hour for it to be at the perfect temperature for drinking. Our relationship to date had been quite volatile, though that was because neither of us were making it easy at any given time unless we were both caught in a weak moment which had happened a few times. One of those times being why I was going on this weekend away to meet his family. I was beyond nervous, but what for? I would never have to see his family again after this, he would explain in a few months that we didn't work out, and by next year he probably would have found a real girlfriend to take to meet his family.

"My Mom is probably going to hug you and get really excited, just go along with it." Wilmer interrupted my thoughts as the taxi turned a corner in the suburban street that we were driving through,

I took another sip of my coffee, "How are we going to be acting?"

"Like friends, we don't have to kiss or anything, obviously I'll hold your hand sometimes or hug you, but if you're uncomfortable with something then just tell me."

I couldn't imagine being uncomfortable with anything that we would do alone, but I knew that wasn't going to happen. Will it happen eventually? Maybe, but this weekend? Definitely not. Although Fallon said it was fine, I still just feel awful for it. What friend is okay with their friend seeing their ex? It's just weird and morally wrong.

I smiled, "Thank you," I told the man as the taxi pulled up out the front of the large house, "Your parents are rich?"

Wilmer smirked, looking down into his hands seeming slightly embarrassed, "I was hoping that you wouldn't notice."

"Why? I would be flaunting it."

"Money, it takes a lifetime to earn and a second to disappear, you learn not to brag after awhile." With that being said, Wilmer handed the money to the taxi driver before getting out of the vehicle, and I wasn't far behind. He carried my suitcase without even asking, I was about to ask if he needed any help when an older woman resembling Wilmer ran out from the big house, I assumed it to be his Mother.

The woman was beaming with joy, "Willy!" She shouted excitedly as she took Wilmer in a hug, kissing both of his cheeks as well. I couldn't help but smirk at the nickname he had been given as I shifted my weight to my other leg feeling slightly uncomfortable. "This must be the woman you were telling me about..." She trailed off while making her way over to me.

"Yes Mom, this is Demi," He told her, "Demi, this is my Mother, Martina." Wilmer concluded as Martina took me in a welcoming embrace.

It wasn't long before the questions started about our relationship. Where did you two meet? How long have you been together? What are your plans for the future? That one stumped the both of us, we had been going well up until that point. How do you tell someone who's so excited for your fake relationship that there aren't any plans for the future? "We're just taking it day-by-day and not jumping ahead on anything." Wilmer said, his answer was so sure and clear, it had to have been rehearsed. 

Martina lead the both of us upstairs, "The spare house isn't quite ready for you two yet, so I've prepared Wilmer's old room for you two to stay in tonight."

"Thank you, Mom." Wilmer smiled, giving her a soft kiss on the cheek.

"I'll leave you two to get settled in and start preparing for tomorrow." The woman said, smiling before she hurried away downstairs.