The Sleepover!?

On the way home, all I could think of was the stupid decision I made.

Well, so much for me and my bad temper, I thought.

Before I knew it, I was home. I sat on my bed, sulking, and thinking about what I was going to do about my decision. As much as I wanted to bail out, it wasn't like me, and I would most likely get teased about it at school.Just then, I had the perfect idea!

"Uh, mom? I'm going to a sleepover tonight. Is that okay?" I called.

She did the usual, asking me where I was going, and with who. We agreed that I would go there at seven, and be back at around noon.

The rest of the day went by in a blur. Soon, I was running to the park, with my heart beating in my throat. On my back, I had a backpack with ropes, a piece of chalk, water, and a flashlight. You never know for sure.

Adeline was already waiting for me when I got there. She had a t-shirt on, and her hair was pulled back, making her look very confident. I suddenly wished I had worn something more presentable than an old hoodie.

We hiked up the hill in silence. But in my mind, I was unsuccessfully giving myself a pep talk.

You'll be fine. It's only the darkest cave in the world that may, or may not be full of dangerous creatures!

"Kaprissa, what is in that backpack?" Adeline suddenly asked.

"You know, safety stuff!" I replied.

"We won't be needing that, trust me." Adeline gave me an annoyed look.