Prologue: A New World

Time. Something that life seems to have too little of. We go through our daily lives, never really wondering when our lives will come to a close, unless in battle or in old age. Time is something that is often wasted by some, and cherished by others. Our world is consumed by time. A story, with a beginning and an end.

Power. Something that all humans wish to have. Throughout the history of mankind, people have sought out power, whether for selfish reasons or for the greater good. Humanity has been at constant war with itself, as well as the Faunas and Grimm, for land, for money, for power. To be able to dominate.

Control. Something everyone wishes to take. Positions of leadership have been fought over both peacefully and violently. Many a life has been spent to try and take control, and many more are to follow before all is said and done.

Time, Power, and Control. These are the things that drive mankind and faunas alike. With what little time we have on this planet, we all feel the need to leave our own legacy. No matter what it may cost of others.

On this world, Remnant, many a battle hath been fought, many a live lost, many a story end. But the story of Remnant lives on, in those who have survived the struggles.

In the beginning on Remnant, there was only light and darkness. Life and Grimm. Two races, human and faunas, coexist on Remnant. But the survival of humanity was not always certain. Humans and Faunas fought the Grimm to survive, and for a long time it seemed the Grimm would wipe them out. However, the humans discovered gems that unleashed attacks of different elements in nature. These gems were called Dust. Dust fueled the fight against the Grimm, and led us to create the kingdoms that stand today: Atlas, Vale, Mistral, and Vacuo. There have been other kingdoms, but war within mankind saw to their end.

The difference between humans and Grimm is that humans have a life force called Aura. Aura fuels the body with energy, and allows different types of abilities for the person, called semblances. Aura also protects the body from injury, however is drained over time in battle.

Aura, semblances, Dust: keys to humanity's survival. But at the same time, these three can lead to humanity's extinction.