Chapter 4: Another Family

Taiyang Xiao Long was a well-known huntsman in the Patch. An artist on the battlefield, his skills rivaled the best warriors out there. However, when his wife left him with only his daughter, Yang Xiao Long, he was lost. He wandered from place to place in the Patch, losing money since he couldn't work when he had to care for Yang.

But as all hope seemed to fade, a new light came into play. A woman wearing a long white cloak came up to both Tai and Yang as they were looking for another place to camp out. "Do you guys need some help?" she asked, trying to get a better look at them to see if she could identify them.

"What do you want?" came the sharp reply from Taiyang.

"I want to help you," came a sincere response. Taiyang had grown to trust no one very easily, even people he was originally close to. He hadn't bothered to turn around and look at the stranger until he heard her answer.

"Who are you?" Taiyang asked, dumbfounded. The woman was wearing a long white cloak, over her red battle gear. She had her hood up, and you could make out silver eyes behind her dark brown hair.

"Summer, my name is Summer Rose," she responded kindly. "Who might you two be?"

"My name is Taiyang Xiao Long, and this is my daughter Yang," he responded, trying to meet her tone.

"You two look like you're looking for a place to stay. You can always come back with me, my home isn't too far away and I have spare rooms," Summer responded, looking to help the poor father-daughter duo.

"No, that quite alright, we will be fine..." Taiyang tried his best to decline. She's beautiful, but I can't trust her! Don't trust anyone! Maybe she's just trying to be nice... Or she could be trying to use you! Brain that doesn't make any sense.

"Please, I insist," Summer's response brought Taiyang out of his internal arguing.

"Fine, we'll go with you," Taiyang sighed in defeat.

"Great! Follow me!" Summer bounded cheerfully down the sidewalk, stopping only when she came to her front door. Taiyang gathered up what was left of their stuff, and picked up Yang and put her on his back, and followed Summer slowly.

It's been half a year since Summer let Taiyang and Yang Xiao Long into her household. Ever since then, they decided to stay for a while and take turns watching Yang, while the other would go out on hunts, earning the three of the some lien. One day, Summer returns from one of her hunts, but she comes back with a deep wound on her side.

Taiyang grabs Summer, placing her in the car, as he went to lock the door and told Yang that he would be back soon, and everything would be fine. Taiyang drove as fast as he could, Summer needed help, badly. Eventually Taiyang pulled into the hospital, parked, and ran inside to get help. An emergency crew soon came out and brought Summer into the infirmary to be stabilized, and to try and heal the wound.

Taiyang paced around the waiting room, time dragging on unbearably. Whenever he got tired of pacing, he would sit down and shake his leg nervously, hoping a doctor would come and tell him Summer was going to be ok. Over the half a year they knew each other, Summer and Tai had grown very close. I can't lose anyone else... I still need to tell her!

As Tai lost track of time, he continued to contemplate his feelings for Summer. I didn't think it was possible, but I've actually found someone I love again. She came to help when no one else would. I can't lose her! Please, whatever god there is out there, don't take her from me!

His thoughts were interrupted when the sound of footsteps approached him, and stopped right next to him. "Mr. Xiao Long?" the nurse asked quietly.

"Is she ok? Is she dead? Please don't tell me she's dead. She's fine, right? She has to be... she has to-"Tai started hopelessly rambling.

"Mr. Xiao Long, Summer Rose is fine. She is in stable condition and is resting peacefully now. It looks like you could use some rest too," the nurse commented.

Tai could barely hold in his excitement. "Please tell me whenever she wakes up, I need to go and take care of my daughter."

"Of course, Mr. Xiao Long, we will notify you immediately," the nurse responded.

She's ok, she's going to live, Tai repeated in his head like a mantra. He got home shortly thereafter, picking up Yang and carrying her to bed, whispering to her that everything is ok, and that it's time to rest. Summer is going to live.

And when I see her tomorrow, I'm going to tell her exactly how I feel.

And that's another chapter down. Thank you guys for reading, and if you enjoyed please vote and leave a comment saying what you think. I'll see you guys in the next chapter!