Chapter 3: A Birthday Party

Today was Weiss' 8th birthday. Her father had planned all sorts of fun, waking up early and getting treated to massages, having a lunch together with her friends, well friend, and spending the afternoon running around playing, or watching movies until dinner. Then she would get her cake, as well as open up all her presents.

What Weiss had been expecting was a servant to wake her up early, so she could have breakfast and begin the festivities. What she got was something she hadn't been expecting. The sound of the door being kicked open and someone landing on her, screaming "Happy birthday!" in her ear was definitely not expected. Weiss shot up, coming face to face with Sam, who had jumped on her bed to wake her.

"Dunce!" she nearly screamed, flicking him on the forehead.

"Now, now, play nice," someone said from the door.

Weiss turned to the door to see both Ozpin and her father standing, smiles on their faces. "Happy birthday, sweetie," Anselm said.

Weiss ran up to both Ozpin and her father to hug them, Sam following behind her. The day went on as how it was supposed to, Weiss and Sam were treated to high class breakfast, a high class massage, and relaxing with one another until lunch time.

As Weiss sat back in her chair, Sam raised his head and looked over at her. "How have you been, Weiss?" he asked her. Sam and Ozpin had been gone for a month, while Ozpin was on a mission, and Sam had gone with him.

"I've been fine, thank you," she responded. "I've missed you though."

"I know, I've missed you too," he replied, sounding guilty. "I wished I could've stayed here, but I don't think your dad would've been ok with that."

"It's ok Sam," she told him, trying to reassure him. But something he said caught her off guard. "Why couldn't you have just stayed with your parents?"

Sam's eyes widened and he looked to the ground, tensing up. "My father is off on a tour in the military, and my mom is off at a business conference for 3 months," he responded hurriedly.

"I-I see," Weiss responded, surprised by his response.

"Weiss! Sam! Lunch is ready!" Ozpin called from the dining room.

"Coming!" Sam called back. "C'mon, lets go! I'm starving!"

"You dolt, we ate not even 5 hours ago," she responded, giggling at his excitement.

"That's five hours too long! Have you forgotten already? I'm always hungry!" Sam responded cheerily, grabbing Weiss' hand and began pulling her to the dining room.

"D-dunce, slow down!" Weiss called, trying to break free from Sam's grasp.

Eventually Sam let her go, and they continued to walk down to the dining room. Meanwhile, Ozpin and Anselm were having a talk.

"You can't be serious Oz," Anselm said in disbelief.

"It's true, and that's why I'm telling you now," Ozpin responded calmly.

"I-I'm sorry but I can't just take him-"Anselm was cut short by the door opening up.

"What's for lunch?" Sam called, Weiss trying to stifle a small smile next to him.

The next couple of hours went by normal for Sam and Weiss, while Ozpin and Anselm went to continue their previous talk in private.

"Oz, you can't honestly expect me to believe he's actually-"Anselm began.

"Enough, I told you the truth. He is what he is, and I know that him being here, he will be happy. He won't be able to go with me any longer," Ozpin responded, trying his best to remain composed.