An Early Goodbye

94 days until final report.

Steven and Lapis sit on the beach. Steven sits silently. He hasn't really talked to the gems since he learned about Rose. He can't look Lapis in the eye as clouds slowly roll in.

"You OK Steven?" Lapis asks, noticing his unease.

"I'm fine," Steven lies, "just thinking..."

"For five days?" Lapis asks, "you won't even bake with Jasper. I thought you loved doing that. Come on, you can tell me what's wrong."

"It's complicated," Steven replies, "you wouldn't understand."

"Maybe you just need to clear your head," Lapis replies getting up, "flying always helps me and I was about to anyways. Wanna tag along?"

Steven thinks about it for a moment. He knows Lapis is already getting suspicious, so if he doesn't nip that at the bud she may figure it all out. He decides to tag along, if only to prevent Lapis from asking any more questions later.

"Sure," Steven forces a smile, "why not?"

Lapis picks Steven up and the two soar into the sky and over the ocean. Steven feels the air grow thinner and colder as they ascend to just under the clouds. Steven puts his hand through one, smiling.

"Nice up here isn't it?" Lapis asks.

"Yeah," Steven replies, "sure is. Now I see why you wanted your wings back so much."

"Yeah," Lapis replies, "hey, if you wanna talk now, you don't need to worry about Jasper overhearing if it was about Rose."

"I said I don't wanna talk about it," Steven replies, "please, just let it go."

"Alright," Lapis sighs, "but I can't help you if you don't trust me. It won't matter soon anyways."

"What do you mean?" Steven asks.

Lapis realizes she messed up. Steven doesn't know they're leaving after the final report.

"It's nothing," Lapis lies, "don't worry about it."

"I can't trust you if you don't tell me the truth," Steven replies.

"Fine. Here's the truth. In ninety four days, our mission expires, and we will have to return to Homeworld."

"Wait, what?"

"I'm sorry, but we can't stay any longer than that."

"But you guys are my family! What am I supposed to do without you?"

"I'm sorry Steven, but Yellow Diamond's word is law on Homeworld."

"But you're not on Homeworld."

"Jasper doesn't understand that. I'd stay in a heart beat, but, Jasper's in charge, so there's nothing I can do."

"Could I talk to Jasper about it?"

"I mean, you could try, but she'd figure out I told you and get angry."

"I'll just say I overheard her and Peridot talking about it. Anyways, I'm ready to head on back."

"Alright."

Lapis turns around and returns to Ocean Town. Lapis sets Steven down on the beach as he begins to head inside.

"Oh," Lapis stops him, "and Steven, I'm sorry I didn't tell you sooner. I just didn't want you to worry."

"It's fine," Steven lies, "I can handle it. See ya later."

Steven heads inside. He holds back tears. Not only is Rose his mom, a Crystal Gem still out there, but now...

In 94 days, the gems, his only family, will abandon him...