Of All People, Why Be You Part Two: A Diamond's Lament

"Welcome back," Blue Diamond smiles slightly.

"My Diamond?" Blue Pearl asks.

"That will be all Pearl," Blue Diamond replies.

"Who were you speaking to?" Blue Pearl inquires.

"I don't think anyone else can see me," Steven explains.

"Don't question a Diamond," Blue Diamond warns.

"My apologies," Blue Pearl replies, "if you need me, I'll be outside."

Blue Pearl leaves the room. Blue Diamond smiles at Steven, having someone to talk to is very comforting to her. For the first time since Pink as shattered, she doesn't feel like crying. She still feels very sad, but not to the point of tears.

"So," Steven asks, "you wanted to talk about something? About Pink Diamond?"

"Oh," Blue turns away, "yeah. Look, you're a younger human, so, if you don't wanna listien..."

"My mom is literally a murderer," Steven replies, "I can handle it."

"You promise?" Blue asks, concerned that what she's about to say may be to heavy for Steven.

"Hey," Steven smiles, "I stand by my friends. I'm here for you."

Blue smiles.

"Alright," she begins, "I remember exactly what I was doing when I heard the news. I was leading two Lapis Lazullies on a mission on Earth, flooding out a rebel base. While there, I received a transmission from Yellow Diamond. She was hysterical. Ranting and raving like a mad man. I tried to calm her down, and asked what was wrong...

That's when she told me. Pink Diamond was dead. I broke down. I couldn't even stand, consumed by grife. After that, Yellow became cold, and I stayed to myself. If I was just there for her, I could have..."

Blue Diamond begins crying.

"It's OK," Steven reassures her, "you were just doing your job. It was Rose. You fought the rebels best you could. You did everything you could."

"You're right," Blue Diamond forces a smile, "thanks Steven."

"If I was there," Steven continues, "I'd have done something. Wish I was alive when it happened. I could have stopped her. I could have saved Pink Diamond."

Steven's gem begins to glow, as he thinks about Rose.

"I could have shattered Rose," he continues, "I could have stopped her." Steven doesn't even notice when he summons his shield, conjuring itself in response to his bitterness.

"You," Blue growls, "sneaky little spy!"

Steven notices his gem. He quickly dispels his sheild, but it's to late. Blue Diamond is already on her feet, enraged.

"Rose!" She yells, "how dare you take the form of a human to trick me! I'm gonna shatter you!"

Blue Diamond slams her fist down on Steven, but it phases through him.

"Don't you ever compare me to her!" Steven yells back, "I never asked for this!"

"You're not Rose?" Blue asks, her only expression one of shock, rage, and confusion.

"I hate Rose!" Steven exclaims, "I'm half gem, half human. She's my mom. She's dead, but I never asked for this. I never asked to be the son of a psychopath. I never asked, to be forced to hide the truth from my friends and family," Steven begins to cry, "I never asked to be born like this..."

Blue Diamond stops, immediately realizing her mistake. Steven isn't Rose. He hates Rose.

"And now," Steven continues, "you're going to send an army to kill me, aren't you? Cause I'm Rose's son, right? Well, go on ahead! I don't care anymore! I just don't understand..." Steven falls to his knees, "of all people, why did I have to be me?"

"Hey," Blue Diamond tries to comfort Steven, "look. Your mother made mistakes, but you don't have to be like her. I'm not gonna kill you. I promise."

"Really?" Steven asks.

"Yeah," Blue Diamond smiles, "cause like you, I stand by my friends."

Steven's alarm clock goes off.

"I gotta go," Steven explains, "but we can talk again later."

"Sure," Blue Diamond replies, "be safe, Steven."

Steven wakes up, crying again. However, these tears are his own. He looks around his room. He wonders, of all the people in the world...

Why did he have to be Rose's son?

Meanwhile, Blue Diamond gets up.

"Pearl," she demands as she steps into the hall.

"Yes?" Blue Pearl asks.

"How long to get a ship to Earth?" Blue Diamond inquires.

"About thirty days," Blue Pearl replies.

"Get me one in twenty," Blue Diamond replies.

"Yes my Diamond," The Pearl bows and walks off to make the arrangements.

"I promise," Blue Diamond thinks aloud, "I won't let The Cluster kill you, Steven..."

66 days until final report.

20 days until Blue Diamond's arrival...