My brain says stop, but my heart says go!

We pull up to the church. I begin to feel sick at my stomach when I notice how many people are entering in.

"This is where I got saved." Ethan whispers while smiling.

We get out of the truck and walk in. We immediately get greeted by a girl about my age.

"Welcome. Are you new?" She says staring at Ethan.

"You know me you weirdo." Ethan pats her on the shoulder.

I recognize the girl from school. I would have never imagined her being a Christian by the way she dresses and acts. Well, Christians are fakes. All of them.

She looks at me and gives me a look that almost offended me. "Hi I'm Mandy." She smiles. A smile that I could tell was forced.

"Penelope." I say.

"Penelope? Wow!" She says. "I would have never imagined that you would be here."

Yeah? I can say the same about you.

"Actually, I don't even imagine cute little Ethan here hanging out with someone like you." She continues.

"Mandy stop." Ethan whispers when she hugs him from the side.

"Excuse me." I say quietly.

"You don't belong here freak. I can sense that you have no hope." She glares at me.

That's when I broke. I turned around and walked out the door. I feel completely humiliated. Yup, I knew it. Christians are no good.

"Penny." I feel Ethan tug on my shoulder.

"What the heck was that!?" I yell when we're in the parking lot. I turn around and face him. "I thought church was supposed to be nice and friendly. She completely humiliated me!" I push his hand off of me.

"It is. Mandy is just jealous. I'm so sorry she did that to you. If I knew she was going to do that, I would've made you walk away. Everyone is welcome in our church." He said.

"So you agree with her? I'm a freak, someone with no hope?" I said.

"No. I didn't say that, Penny." He said.

I turn my back to him.

"Penny,"

"Can you just take me home please?" I say holding back tears. I hug myself to make me stop trembling. "I don't want to be here."

"No." He finally says. I turn to face him again and glare at him. "Please, Penny, give this place a chance. That was one person who's a snotty, rude, rich kid. Everyone else is super nice. You're going to love pastor Kyle. Please? I will never ask you again." He rubs my arm, sending a chill through my spine.

"Fine." I whisper.

He hugs me. "Thank you. I promise I will protect you." He says and takes my hand. We go back inside.

I actually, maybe, kind of, had a good time? I couldn't tell if I was having fun, or if I was being torchered with all the worship and praying. But, Ethan was right. Pastor Kyle was a pretty cool guy. He wore what looks like clothes from the 80s, and he's into the same music I'm into. Speaking of music, it wasn't that bad. I noticed how skilled the guitarists were. Service is what made me want to leave, more praying, talking about the bible, and pastor Kyle talked about forgiveness. It made me think of my dad, but I would never forgive him for leaving my mom and me. But if Ethan wasn't with me, I probably would've screamed and left. Anyway, church was actually okay. It's nothing like my mom explained it.