The Hunger Games Prequel - Chapter 1

Disclaimer- The setting of this story, including physical surroundings and background context all belong to Suzanne Collins, author of the Hunger Games. This is a work of fan-fiction. Only the plot and characters belong to me.

Chapter 1

We wait in the square, cold seeping through our boots and burning our feet with icy numbness. We are quiet, but the atmosphere is electric with fear. Around us, the bombed buildings smoke, grey plumes spiralling in the wind and blowing ashes in our faces.

All is silent.

A tiny hand faintly squeezes my own. I look down at my little brother, Ash, who is swaying on his feet, his face pale with exhaustion. My hand curls protectively around his, and I can feel his whole body tremble. He is only seven years old- too young to have faced the horrors of this world. But innocence is a thing of the past.

“What’s happening, Iris?” He whispers to me.

“I don’t know,” I reply, wishing I could be of more comfort.

Suddenly, tramping feet echo through the square and lines of peacekeepers march up onto the raised stage at the front of the square. Their uniforms are pristine white, showing no sign of the blood and dirt of the recent months. Their faces are like masks, devoid of any expression. They immediately train their guns on us and we all shrink together in fear.

A man steps out from the front building, dressed in a shocking lime-green suit. His hair is plum-coloured, clashing horribly with his attire. His nose seems unnaturally thin to me, and his lips are stretched into a wide grin. Dead giveaway signs. I clench my teeth, trying to hold back my rage and anger.

This man is from the Capitol.

He flings his arms out, as if welcoming us warmly. “Greetings, District 12!”

His accent is strange and clipped and I want to laugh. But I’m too afraid. We all are.

“My name is Chadley Brumner.” He continues, his voice lightly trilling across the square. “And I am very pleased to welcome you here today for such a momentous occasion.”

We all glare at him with barely disclosed hostility. None of us know why we have been called here today. There have been rumours- wild ones- but I can scarcely believe that they are true. Surely the districts have been punished enough?

My mind is torn back to that harrowing day, only a few weeks back. The entire district had been called together to witness the execution of the arrested rebels. They were lined up against the walls and brutally gunned down. A hundred dead bodies had stained the wooden stage with their blood. My own father had been one of them. I had been standing so close, only a few metres away, and yet I was unable to do anything to save him. It had broken my heart, but not my spirit.

I will avenge him, I had vowed to myself. If it’s the last thing I do.

And now I stand, facing the man associated with those murderous acts. A man who is from the Capitol, a city that is so far away, but rules us with an iron fist. I can feel the hatred coursing through my blood, warming my frozen skin.

If only I could kill him, I wish. But I know that I would be shot dead within a second if I try.

“Now, as you all no doubt appreciate, the Capitol has bestowed upon you a great kindness, by sparing your lives.” Chadley Brumner beams at us all, a patronising tone in his voice. “By all means, we could let you starve to death. But we are graceful winners of this war, and we care about our districts.”

I nearly snort at that, but manage to hold it in.

Chadley’s face becomes serious, and a chill of apprehension runs through my bones. “But there are lessons to be learnt, and consequences to every action. The last few months have been dark days for us all, and a price must be paid.”

A murmur ripples through the crowd and the peacekeepers bark at us to be silent. A plaintive cry rises up from the crowd as a small child is frightened, but he is swiftly silenced by an anxious mother. No-one wants to draw attention to themselves.

We all continue to listen to Chadley’s speech.

“The Capitol has decreed that in exchange for their kindness and forgiveness, two children, one boy and one girl, will be offered up to the Capitol as tributes every year from each of the 12 remaining districts. These tributes, aged 12 to 18, will fight to the death in an arena until only one survives.”

The rest of his words are drowned out as an exclamation of horror resounds through the square. Mothers clutch their children in panic and I find myself crouching down, cradling Ash in my arms as my mind absorbs his words. My whole body starts to reel at the idea- a mass slaughter of innocent children. It is truly barbaric! Whoever thought of this must be depraved; a monster of the worst kind.

Warning shots are fired into the air by the Peacekeepers and a hush descends on the crowd. Chadley’s smile has become very fixed and we can all sense his venomous nature behind his jovial charade. He is pure poison. Just like everyone from the Capitol.

“The victor of this battle will be rich beyond his or her dreams and will live in style for the remainder of his or her life!” He proclaims cheerfully to us, as if that justifies such cruelty. “This yearly battle signals the end to the rebellion and peace will now reign. Step out of line and the penalty will be much, much worse.”

This threat sounds even more ominous from such a ridiculous-looking creature.

“These battles will be known as the Hunger Games.” He announces this with pride, and he gains a nasty glint in his eyes. “The first two children will be chosen next week. Happy Hunger Games, District 12. And may the odds be ever in your favour.”