Making a Living

The sheep lasted us two days. Since I had so much free time, I kept stretching the wool into clothes. I attached the skins to a stick and put the stick in the river for hours. That way I knew there were no bugs and dirt.
There were a few crops growing here and there. I recognized a poison berry bush, so we stayed away from that. But I found onions, potatoes, carrots, tomatoes and apples.
I took some carrots near our hut. I saw they weren't fully grown yet, so I planted them near our cave.
Around the cave there was a little flat expanse that went on for twenty feet on all sides, except for the side with the cliff rock thingie. Then, if I faced away from the rock, to my left and right, twenty feet or so away, was the shore. Thirty feet ahead was a forest. There, the island started to thicken: from shore to shore in the middle of the island, it was about mile or so thick. I didn't know how long the island was, but my guess, standing on top of the cliff, was eight miles or so.
I crawled inside the cave and saw Chuck working on something. By the sound of it, he was sharpening some sort of knife.
"What are you doing?" I asked.
He set down whatever he was doing. "Sharpening the axe."
"How do you just know what to do?"
"I've been in Boy Scouts and we did things like this. Making a fire, tools, survival skills."
"Oh."

       I crawled outside. I sat down on the warm grass and relaxed. I sat there for a long time, just thinking. Daydreaming. Remembering.

         Then the waves rose ten feet high and came on the island and I screamed for my life.