12. A Night to Remember (Part 2)

Just a heads up, this chapter is a total of 3339 words. Yeah. Get ready. 

Shhh, you love me. :) 

________

The event hall was large and grand. The massive gathering space had not one bland, nor empty spot on its walls or floor. Every inch of it was made sure to be covered in sparkling, golden lights. They made all of the rooms in the space glimmer and show their true beauty. It was beautiful. Gorgeous, in fact. Drenched in royal and regal colors, making it seem like a gigantic bottle of golden glitter had been poured down. 

Of course, it being so extravagant, it was impossible for the Carmichael family not to purchase it for the evening. Demetrius and his future bride have very expensive taste. They had to have the most high priced clothing, cars, homes and shoes. Nothing less than one grand. It was quite obvious—the Carmichaels were very wealthy people. And with wealth came selfishness and vanity, traits that Deven and the rest of his family were guilty of inheriting (among other things). Daniella has it, Deven has it, Demetrius clearly has it. Some members' don't show as much as others, thank goodness. 

Sometimes Deven would wonder what he would've been like if he weren't his usual, semi-selfless self. But then he remembers all the times that he wished to be more like his brother—having everything in the palm of his very hand. People waiting on him hand and foot. The elite social events. All the women in the world obsessing over him, when had to do nothing but give a soft glance. An exact replica of his brother, incredibly narcissistic and walking around like he had a stick up his rear. That last part always snapped him back to reality. He learned not to think into his sibling's 'perfectness' all the time. As much as he would hate to admit it, he does consider the positives. If Robin found out she'd surely be disappointed, though.

A delicate finger taps his left arm. 

"You alright?" 

Deven looked over at the elegantly dressed lady beside him. Charlotte was relatively quiet and reserved most of the ride, so her sudden question and concern surprised him a little bit. 

"Yeah. I'm fine." He said, shrugging his thoughts off like they were nothing. He didn't want her to worry about him. Tonight was her night, her time to shine. He made a promise to her, and he wasn't going to break it. Her smile and her happiness was more important than his petty thoughts. Anyone's was.  

"Friends don't lie, Deven." She delicately pressed. Charlotte stares at him, waiting. (MIKE--) 

"It's nothing, I promise," he smiled weakly. "I wouldn't dream of lying to you, anyways...You're like my best friend." 

Another lie. 

Smiling back, she hugs him from the side, ruffling his chestnut brown hair a little. He chuckles and manages to return the action. 

"Are you happier now, Mr. Grouchy McGrouch-Face?" She giggles. Deven playfully huffs. 

"Yes, but I was always happy." 

"Mhmm. Whatever you say, Devvy." 

He frowns just the slightest. There was that nickname again, making yet another unwanted appearance. He had a strong dislike for it. It left a bitter aftertaste in both his mind and his mouth. Upon noticing this, C.A. slumped back in the faux leather limousine seat. It squeaks when she scoots back. 

"Sorry...I forgot how you feel about that." She apologized.

Pushing the feelings of anger out, he forces a smile. "It's alright. You don't mean any harm."