Kasai

I walked in the fire. I couldn't breathe and it was like I was swimming in water. I wasn't sure how far I got inside before I was pushed out. It whispered to me.

'What are you doing?!'

"What?"

The fire shrunk down and looked like it was facing me. It had no facial features but still managed to whisper with a slight hiss.

"I'm sorry but what are you?"

'I can not show you my true form but I assure you I am not going to hurt anyone or the forest.'

"Do you have a name?"

'My kind do not use names.'

"Hmm can I call you Kasai? I'm Rose by the way."

'Sure. It is nice to meet you Rose. Tell me, why are you so friendly towards me."

"I don't know. You seem cool, I feel like I can trust you."

'Well then. What are you doing here?'

"I was told to protect the forest and I didn't want anything to happen to it so I was willing to try what was needed."

'Since you are so trusting of me and I see you're very brave I will help you protect it. First though, those people out there, can you get them to stop. The water is burning me.'

"Sure. I saw you shrink down to meet my level so if you can shrink into my pocket or something I can take you with me. We can't make it look weird though so try to look like the water is putting you out."

When they shrunk down they looked like a woman but at the same time looked genderless. I snuck out of the forest and over to my car. The officers and everyone else looked confused. I felt one hand on my leg and one on my face.

"Rose are you ok? Did you get hurt?"

"I'm fine."

Devin sighed and I put my hand on hers.

"I was so worried."

My door opened and I almost fell out.

"Hey I'm gonna go hang out with Sam."

We both looked over at Cat and then the guy she was pointing to. She didn't wait for an answer and just left. I looked over at Devin and smiled.

"Wanna see someone I met in the forest?"

"Sure?"

I whispered to Kasai and asked if it was ok. I saw their little head nod and I took them out of my shirt pocket.

"Don't freak out. This is Kasai. The fire that was in the forest."

Kasai bowed to Devin and she just looked shocked.

"What is that?!"

'I am the embodiment of fire. There are more like me for the other elements but I am the only fire. I will not harm you, no need to worry, I am just here to help and serve for the one that helped me.'

They bowed and gestured to me.

"I'm going to need some time to process this."

"Ok that's absolutely fine."

It was a silent drive back to my house. When we got inside I walked to my art/music studio type room.

"Who's that?"

Devin pointed to a picture of Cat and me on my wall from fourth grade. I put Kasai down and started looking for fabrics and stuff.

"Oh that's Cat before her transition. She was adorable."