Chapter 3 Part 1

Chapter 3

Edward

I really didn't think it would work. When Esme had handed me the bottle I'd expected Charlie to drink half an ounce then spit it all up. I'd expected to spend the night in the hospital watching my child hooked up to monitors with tubes in his tiny body. Instead I was holding my son who was still asleep in my arms.

He'd slept for three hours before waking. It was the first time since he was born I wasn't panicked about him eating. I considered calling Tanya and telling her that we'd found a solution, but I doubted she'd even care other than the crying had stopped Charlie. I didn't even know where she was, but I knew she wouldn't be far from her phone.

We warmed the milk when he woke and he drank another two ounces. He fell right back asleep and I had to wonder if that was typical or if my little boy was just that weak and exhausted.

This time I laid him in his bassinet next to my bed. He rarely was in it because I'd spent most of his life feeding him or rocking him trying to get him to stop crying. I watched him for a moment then turned on the monitor, and headed downstairs. I wanted to ask Esme to listen for him while I took a shower. I'd neglected myself severely over the past week. I'd barely showered, shaved or eaten.

Just as I got to the bottom of the stairs Charlie started to cry. The devastation I felt at the sound was indescribable. It had been about five minutes since he finished eating and I assumed he'd spit it all back up.

"I thought we'd found a solution," I said, tears in my eyes. I didn't care that Esme was watching me break down. I turned and headed back up the stairs, Esme now following.

"I thought we did too. I'm so sorry." Her words were sweet, but it was little consolation. "Why don't you get him, and I'll gather a few things then call for the car. We can take him to the hospital."

I nodded as we entered the room. It was evening, but there was enough light to be able to see, yet I had no idea what I was looking at.

Charlie was lying in his bassinet screaming his head off, but there was no spit up to be seen. I scooped him up and realized my hand was now wet, as was his back.

"What the hell is that?" I asked, holding him out from my body, trying to turn him so I could see his back.