Chapter 3 Part 2

It was everywhere. I tried to take off his clothes, but it only made it worse. "What am I supposed to do?" I asked frustrated, though Esme was still laughing.

"It's bath time. That's all," she said, taking the dirty clothes and throwing them in a hamper along with the sheets. "Why don't you go and wash him up, and I'll get you new clothes and change the sheets?" I was grateful to have her there.

I'd given Charlie a bath once before, so I pulled out the tiny tub and put a bit of water in it. The moment I poured a small cup filled with water over him he stopped crying. Being careful, I washed him up. Long after he was clean I kept pouring the water over his legs and chest as he seemed to like it.

"I brought you a diaper and another outfit," Esme said entering the bathroom. She walked over to us and grabbed Charlie's bare toe. "You are so cute," she said in that voice reserved for babies. "Yes you are." Then she turned to me. "I'd put a washcloth over his penis."

"Why?" It was as if he knew what I'd asked and was volunteering to answer my question because at that moment he made this face and an arc of urine shot into the air, landing on my shirt.

Esme started laughing again. "That's why."

I couldn't help but laugh too. "What's up with you tonight, little man?" I asked, pulling the shirt off as carefully as I could. I definitely needed a shower now.

"He had a fully belly and full bellies mean full diapers." Esme's comment had been a simple one, but to me, it hit home. That was exactly what this was. For the first time since I'd brought him home he'd gone more than the tiniest bit in his diaper. As messy as this was, it was a blessing.

"Let me diaper and dress him while you jump in the shower. I'm sure that he want's some quality time with Aunt Esme."

I was showering when it hit me. In all the excitement, I hadn't appreciated the fact that he hadn't gotten sick. This was two feedings in a row, a total of five ounces in him that he'd kept down. The blow out, as Esme called it, was proof something was working. As disgusting as it was, it at least meant that food had gone through his body. I still had enough for one more feeding tonight. I would probably have to give it to him when I got out of the shower, but at least it would last him a few more hours.

It would be a long night, once I ran out and had to give him the formula again, but at least I'd know he'd had some nutrition today. I considered mixing it. If I made it half and half, it would last twice as long, then again, if he spit it up, I'd be wasting what little milk I did have.

I was still thinking about it when I toweled off and walked back into my room. I was shocked to see Esme sitting in a chair reading a magazine. I was about to ask where Charlie was when she put her finger to her lips. "Shhh. He fell back asleep once I'd dressed him."

I looked in his bassinet to find him fast asleep, sucking on his thumb. She stood and moved slowly toward the door. I started to follow but she turned and stopped me speaking in a whisper. "I know you have a million things to do, but your son is asleep, you should rest too."

"Esme, it's like nine o'clock," I argued. "How can I sleep?"

"Trust me, whatever you have to do will be there in the morning, or in a few hours when he wakes. Goodnight Edward."