5th Cure

"Hmm. This one fits well." The ginger-haired male approved after a few adjustments of his tie.

His eyes remained intact to his reflection that was prompted by the large mirror in front of him. He was wearing an intelligent black suit, complementing the fedora hat that he refuses to not wear.

"It suits you well, sir!" came the clerk's enthusiastic flattery, her pitch high enough to break the mirror.

"I'll take this one." Chuuya finally said and turned to the woman who instantly blushed once she saw his attractive blue orbs.

He shrugged off the jacket and vest, loosening the tie in the progress. He then thrust all the articles of clothing to the clerk, his card on top.

"Ah! I'll just punch in your purchase, sir!" the woman bowed, turning around to run to the opposite direction.

Chuuya sighed, plopping on a bench just behind him. His eyes scanned the shop, taking in the details of its aesthetic design. Peach-coloured walls were decorated with various paintings and shelves. The shelves were stocked with suits, a mannequin wearing the designated clothing that was situated near it. Racks of -obviously- more suits aligned across the aisle, each rack containing different colored suits.

"...What a boring and lame shop." he muttered to himself, voicing out his boredom. With nothing else to do, he took out a small velvet box that was in his pocket the entire time. He carefully opened the lid, revealing two silver rings with engraved imperfect circles in each. When the two rings are to be held close together, the symbol for infinity that it truly represents would be evident.

"...The two of us would complete our eternity." Chuuya silently said, remembering the meaning of the rings.

He took out the ring with the bigger size, sliding it in his ring finger. "... It perfectly fits."

A pleasant smile appeared on his pale pink lips, blue eyes gleaming.

After a few moments of admiring the ring situated in his finger, he took it off and settled it back in its box.

He released another sigh, glancing at the boring wall clock near him.

"An hour left, huh?"

His heart throbbed in anticipation, dread sitting at the pit of his stomach.

"Hey."

-----------------

Being selfish is the opposite of being selfless. It means prioritizing your well being or interest over others. It means preferring to benefit oneself over others. And he, Chuuya Nakahara, chose to be selfish.

"Chuuya, why are we here?" R silently asked as she tightly held on to the said male's arm. She was slowly being led to enter such a dark room with only the male as her guide.

"Well, it's a surprise." he simply answered, his voice soft and reassuring in contrast what he truly feel.

It's alright to be selfish if it means holding her close.

Chuuya gave R a smile in which the girl returned.

It's alright to be selfish if it means seeing her bright eyes and smile.

They both came to a stop, a spotlight then illuminating the spot where they currently are. The ginger-haired male faced the girl he truly loves, chewing on the insides of his cheeks before clearing his throat to speak.

"R..." he released a loud sigh before mustering the biggest grin he can, eyes gleaming with tears.

It's alright to be selfish if it means seeing her happy...

"...Please be happy."

... Even though I am not the source of her happiness.

The spotlight turned off. Chuuya took this as a cue to turn around and walk in large strides.

"Thank you." a familiar voice in the dark whispered as it whisked pass Chuuya.

"I just gave back what truly is yours, bastard."

"Why did you hand R back to the agency?"

Chuuya answered his boss with a shrug. "Because her fiance is there...?"

"..." a laugh then came. "Let me change my question then; Why did you hand R back to Dazai?"

"..."

"Don't worry-- I'm not mad. Just curious."

"...Because I'm selfish."

"...Selfish?"

"I know that I can't make R happy no matter how hard I try. No matter what I do, her heart would always shout for Dazai. And I... I'm saving myself from the pain and trouble of seeing her slip away from my grasp..." he stared at his gloved hands. "She has my heart and body... But at least, she doesn't have all of my pride."

Once Chuuya was in the corner of the pitch black room, the spotlight turned on once again, but this time, the familiar brunette was the one in front of R.

"...Dazai?" R asked, eyes widening in pure ecstasy as her lips stretched into a wide grin.

"Yup, it's your amazing boyfriend." Dazai mused, flexing his arms dramatically.

Chuuya watched the scenery from afar, a small smile present on his lips. "That's the smile I've been looking for..."

"Hey."

Chuuya looked up to see Dazai looking down at him. This slightly pissed the smaller male but he chose to brush the irritation away.

"Here." he tossed the velvet casing in which the brunette caught with ease.

"Yay! My noose rings!"

"... Noose?"

"Well, when I first asked R to be mine, I asked her if she can commit the perfect double suicide with me-- so noose means suicide!" Dazai enthusiastically twirled around, placing the box in his trench coat afterwards. "And these noose, which means the two us, would complete our eternity." he seriously added at the end.

"...Weirdo."

"Thanks."

Chuuya glared at the nonchalant male.

"I mean... Thank you for bringing her back to me..."

"I didn't do it for you or for her, you know... I did it for myself."

"What?... Why?"

"Because I'm selfish." Chuuya muttered, eyes drifting away from the scene in which his enemy was kneeling on one knee as he slid on an engagement ring onto the finger of the girl she loves.

He clutched on his chest tightly, kneeling down in the process. His head was tilted down, making his fedora hat drop to the ground.

Tears slowly slid down his eyes as he tried to suppress the sobs emanating from his quivering lips.

"...This is too far from being selfish." he finally voiced out, the pain in his chest getting more and more excruciating.

"... Seems like you aren't the cure to my tainted sorrow, my beloved."