Chapter 6

Ch. 6

(Zoey’s POV)

The first few weeks were rough, but eventually I grew accustomed to the new house and faces.  I spent most of my days in my room or hiding from Kaius.  Klaudia and I avoided all contact despite’s Xavier’s many well-meaning but futile attempts to reconcile our feud.  Instead, I hung out with Spencer and Mason who quickly became close friends of mine.  Spencer and I had a lot in common, being the nerds we were.  Mason was lost on our academic conversations, but he talked with us often nonetheless.

One day on the third week, I noticed everyone was on edge.  They rarely spoke, occasionally twitched, and snapped at anyone who got too close.  Sweet, dorky Spencer was no exception to the sudden, bizarre personality change.  He actually growled at me was I sat beside him on his bed. 

“What is up with you guys?” I asked angrily.  “One day you’re laughing and playing Mario Kart like old chums and the next you’re at each other’s throats!”

Spencer took a deep breath and sighed.  “I’m sorry, Zoey, really I am. It’s just… We turn tonight.”

“Turn?” I asked, and then I realized what he meant.  “Oh, right. Werewolves. Are you still trying to pull that one over on me? I don’t know what Klaudia told you about me, but I’m not dumb.”

“I know! And that’s why I’m worried about you.”

I started at him quizzically.  “This is how you show you’re worried? By growling at me?”

Spencer ignored this comment.  “You’re too stubborn for your own good, Zoey, and if you aren’t careful, it’ll get you killed.”

His words sent chills up my spine.  Normally, I wouldn’t have taken such a statement so seriously, but Spencer sounded like he meant it.

But still, werewolves?  Bullcrap.

“Whatever,” I muttered, and stormed off to my room.  Maybe a short nap would clear my head…

_______________________________________________________________________

“Zoey. Get up.”

Someone prodded me none-too-gently, rousing me from my sleep.  I grunted and pulled the covers over my head.  Seconds later, my blankets were ripped away from me, leaving me no choice but to get up.  Irritated at this rude awakening, I rolled over to face my enemy.

It was Klaudia.  Shocker.

“What do you want?” I snarled.  She scowled at me.

“I want to help you. You don’t want to be here, right? I can help you escape.”

I sat up, eyebrows raised.  “Why?”

“Because I don’t want you here as much as you don’t want to be here.”  She was lying.  Over the years, she’d gotten better at keeping up a poker face, but I could still tell when she was telling a flat out lie.  Some things never change.

“You don’t want me here because of the full moon. Because of the turn,” I said.

“So what if that’s part of it? You want out, right? I’ll let you out. Why are my motives so important?”

I glared at the blue-haired teen.  Once, I had known her.  But Klaudia had changed.  She’d lost her mind a long time ago.  I couldn’t keep hoping she’d find it again.

“You’re crazy,” I said finally.  “If Kaius catches us, we’re dead.”

“Trust me, dead is a better alternative than what he’d do to us if he let us live,” she assured me.  “Now, here’s the plan.”