Mountain

The stardate was 2273. McCoy and Spock were fleeing from the large beast. The beast was a unusual lifeform that the Enterprise crew had ever came across. One that never of its like had been seen before. The planet was capable of sustaining life but this kind of lifeform threatened the very life of those who could call it home. McCoy and Spock hid behind the boulder. McCoy was pinned to the ground by the Vulcan who were towering over him. It was hilarious. They never ended up this way before. McCoy frowned. It was Jim and Spock who usually got separated from the doctor not Spock and McCoy. Jim and Pavel were somewhere else hiding from the beast. Helene DeMaster had been killed by the beast while serving as distraction to let the two men escape.

"Well, that's a compromising position we landed in," McCoy wistfully whistled.

"Be silent, doctor," Spock ordered.

McCoy glared back at the Vulcan.

"I will be quiet when---" McCoy stopped once he heard the ground tremble beneath his body.

The beasts large tusks drifted above Spock's back then it raised up. McCoy could see the massive scales set along the beasts body. The large elephant like trunk felt around on his back. How was he doing it? Preventing himself from moving at the touch of another being. The beast was a blind creature that relied on sound and feeling with its trunk. It felt around Spock's thigh. Now he should have moved then uncomfortably. Suddenly, the beast turned away running away from the two. McCoy heard the ground shaking beneath him, loudly, and powerfully. McCoy's eyes widened as the space beneath him fell. The ground giving a loud, obnoxious roar. Instantly his life flashed before him as his body started to fall from the Vulcan. Spock reached out grabbing McCoy by the hand, squeezing it, tightly then yanked him back landing in mirrored compromising position between the two men. McCoy's heart was racing. He could have died. Right before the Vulcan's eyes. The doctor moved himself to the side.

"Why you just saved my life," McCoy said.

"I am expandable, and you are not," Spock replied. McCoy rolled an eye.

"Uh huh, enough of that rankin' bull shit," McCoy said, propping himself up. He stood up noticing that there was a wide gap, a valley of the sorts, far from where they had been originally. McCoy was about to take his communicator out when a thought occurred to the man. "Say. . . ." the doctor paused earning a eyebrow raise. "can you feel Jim?"

"He is irked and anxious," Spock said.

"That's our Jim," McCoy said.

"Mr Chekov is trying his best to comfort him," Spock said.

"When is that ion storm supposed to go away?" McCoy asked.

"Nine hours," Spock said.

"Unstable planet with terrible storms," McCoy said. "just our luck."

"It is very rare we find ourselves alone on away missions," Spock said.

"Rare?" McCoy said. "I have you know I orchestrate the greatest split ups since the last time we were split together."

"I do not believe so," Spock said.

"Believe so," McCoy said. "with the right wordin', I can have myself partnered up with a security officer instead than with Jimothy," McCoy and Spock made their climb down the valley. It was unsafe to be on the surface during a storm. "and yes, I do manipulate him. Just for my sake only."

"Doctor, that is quite unfair of you," Spock acknowledged.

"Hey!" McCoy said. "At least it comes to your advantage."

"May I note the chances of security officers dying on away missions and you being killed with them?" Spock inquired.

"Nope," McCoy said. McCoy started to fall forward as his hand slipped. Spock reached one hand forward stopping him from falling. "You are a science officer, Spock, not a security officer and ya don't count at all."

"Statically, you will not die around officers in blue and golden shirts," Spock said.

"Oh come on," McCoy gained his footing in the rock once leaning forward grabbing into the nearest holes. "you are tellin' me that people just join the security track to die?" he looked over his shoulder in the direction of the Vulcan. "Because Pavel has not died yet."

"That is because he is important in the life of the command crew," Spock said. "they know what they were getting to."