Chapter 10

"We're heading out soon, Sky. Are you coming with us?" Erik asked, pulling on his leather jacket.

"No, I'm all right. Three's a crowd, after all." I responded. "I'd rather stay here and read a good book. Besides, someone's got to look after Raven."

Erik gave me a kiss before he left. I reached into my pocket and pulled out the metal wings he had given me.

"Erik, wait."

He turned around. "Already changed your mind?" He chuckled.

"Not on your life, mister. I just... here." I gave him the wings.

"The wings? What are these for?"

"To keep you safe. I don't know. It just... feels right that you have them while you're gone."

"I'll bring them back to you safe."

"I'd rather have you than the wings, Erik. So be careful."

"I will."

That was the conversation Erik and I had had before he and Charles left to go and recruit new mutants. It would be better if it was just the two of them. There would be less confusion. People would probably be less scared of them as well. As I had said to Erik, three was a crowd and a crowd would worry some people. Charles said they would be back once they had gotten enough recruits. I spent most of my time with Moira, planning out how we would confront Shaw. We had to find him first. I had to say that it was impressive how many resources the CIA had. It would make it significantly easier to find Shaw. So that was what Moira and I were focused on while Charles and Erik were busy recruiting. Raven and Hank hung out when they could. I thought that the two of them were adorable together. I was just a little worried about... nevermind. I was sure that it wouldn't really matter, anyway.

Today was the seventh day that they had been gone. No sign of any mutant recruits. Either they had failed, or they were waiting to send us them until they were all together. It didn't really matter. I was having a little bit of a day off, relaxing in one of the lounges with a book. Moira had a small library with her. I hadn't read most of them, so each one was a new adventure. I loved that about books. I was walking when I heard Moira knocking on the door frame.

"Hey, Sky. I was wondering where you were." She said.

"What's going on?" I asked.

"Erik and Charles are coming back today. They've got four new recruits for the division."

"Really? Four? Impressive. We might stand a chance against Shaw yet."

"My thoughts exactly. Come on."

Moira and I walked to the front of the building, where Charles, Erik, and their four new recruits came walking up. I gave them all a once-over. The way that they were now, they didn't look like much. They wouldn't stand a chance against Shaw. They were fresh-faced and young. They didn't know the horrors of the world, not the way that I did. I watched them walk past me. The recruits followed Moira to the room that the CIA had prepared for our little ragtag group of misfits. Charles and Erik stopped in front of me. I looked back at them.

"So, what have we got?" I asked.

"Angel, Darwin, Alex, and Sean. Angel has wings, like you do. Well, similar to yours. Hers turn into tattoos." Charles said. "Darwin adapts to his situations, Alex can shoot out blasts of energy, and Sean can shout in sonic waves."

"And as for what they can do as a group? Do you think they'll work well together?"

"I don't think they'll have much choice." Erik responded.