Chapter 14

A/N So here we go, continuing with the story. Enjoy this latest installment. Did you know that Wattpad doesn't recognise installment as a word? Or Wattpad? How weird is that? Anyway, back to reading, friends.

Charles, Erik, Sean, Hank, and I were standing on top of the giant satellite in the yard. This was probably his last chance to fly, but hey. If he couldn't do it, I was there to pick him back up before he hit the ground. Of course, he didn't know that. He wouldn't try as hard if he knew that he had a safety net. I held on to the railing and leaned forward. It was quite the drop. Maybe I would just jump off myself. Erik stood next to me.

"Thinking about jumping?" He asked.

"Of course. You?" I turned to him.

"I have found whenever I'm in a high place, I have an uncontrollable urge to jump."

"It's a common reaction. Every human, mutant or not, has that urge. It's an old Freudian concept. A sort of survival tactic."

"When have you had time to learn all of this?"

I shrugged. "I read a lot of books in my free time."

"I don't have that urge! I'd rather go back to the ground!" Sean said.

Oh, right. We were here for a reason. I turned to face Sean. I put a hand on his shoulder. He just had to have the confidence to do this. Screaming at a high enough frequency would allow for him to fly.

"It's the most freeing feeling in the world, Sean. You just have to know that you can do it." I said.

"And you truly believe that I'll fly this time?" Sean turned to Charles.

"Unreservedly."

"I trust you."

"I'm flattered."

He looked at Hank. "I don't trust him."

Hank opened his mouth to defend himself.

"Say nothing."

"I'm gonna die!"

"Look, we're not going to make you do anything-"

"Here, let me help." Erik said, walking towards Sean.

Somehow, I knew what he was going to do before he did it. He pushed Sean off the satellite. Charles ran to the edge and I prepared to jump. Erik stopped me. Sean started to scream. The waves bounced off of the dish and... he took to the air. Erik was smiling like a fool. Charles looked angry. I shrugged and fell off of the satellite, opening my wings. I flew next to Sean. He laughed.

"I told you it was freeing!" I shouted, laughing a little myself.

I brought him back to the top of the satellite. He was congratulated by all of them. It was impressive. And Charles had known that it would happen. Charles had an uncanny ability to know what, exactly, a mutant needed to unlock their true potential. I wondered how, exactly, he would help Erik unlock his potential. And what affect it would have on him. Hopefully a positive one. He needed it more than any of us. I flew back to the house. I had some reading to catch up on.

~-~-~-~-~-

I sat in a chair in the sitting room, reading a book. I had gone through my training today. I needed to catch up on my reading, anyway. I mostly read educational books. I had missed out on the whole "high school" thing. This was how I knew what I knew. Otherwise, I wouldn't have known half of the things that I did. Moira was messing with the TV, trying to get the picture to be clearer. A technopath would have been useful in this instance. I wondered if there were any and what they would be capable of. I shook my head and turned back to the book.