-The reunion

After gym which has been hectic as the gym teacher, Mrs Plimsoll, refused to stop gushing about me and made us run ten laps around the track, I am laughing with Becks, who’s doing a Kaylee Evans impression, when a familiar face pops up.

A hand grabs at me and I panic, thoughts of Jace Carson enveloping my mind, putting up my hands in surrender. ‘I – don’t hurt me, Jace – I’m sorry – I’ll pay for your lunches – don’t, please, I’m sorry – Anthony?’

Anthony looks confused, breaking into a slightly startled grin. ‘Tessa?’ He grabs me and pulls me into a bone-crushing hug.

‘You’re a manwhore?’

Nice.

Really, Tessa.

You haven’t seen one of your best friends in two years and the first words you say to him is manwhore?

He goes red but keeps me in his grasp and chuckles. ‘Forgot how you used to be so funny.’

I give an uncertain smile, remembering Jace’s chuckles and how similar his and Anthony’s seem. Trying to break the sudden tension, I laugh and poke at his muscles, winking. ‘Woah, big boy. Where’d these bad boys come from?’

.

JACE’S POV

.

She’s poking at his muscles and laughing her head off at something he’s saying.

A flare of resentment sparks within me and I look at her carefully. She’s not – she can’t be – there’s no way that’s Tessa.

The old Tessa was shy, quiet, easy to bully. Frizzy hair, I remember. Glasses – big, thick ones. Braces.

This new girl?

Laughing. Confident. Brave. Sleek hair that I’d love to run my hands through. No glasses and straight, white teeth. She’s wearing tight jeans that show off slim legs and a sexy ass, and her navy blue cashmere is hugging her body in all the right places.

Crap.

How can someone turn so soft and so hard at the same time?

I throw another menacing glare at her again, before grabbing Anthony and stalking out of the hallway.

.

TESS’S POV

.

Okay, then.

That’s not weird, at all.

Nope.

Jace Carson, red as a tomato, angry as Hitler, grabbing Anthony as he shouts, ‘We’ll catch up at lunch, Tessa-Bear!’ and storming off is totally normal.

‘Don’t call me Tessa-Bear!’ I shout back and Jace’s face goes even angrier, if possible.

What’s up his ass?

‘Tess, we’ve got double Bio,’ Becks pulls at my arm and I follow, but my eyes find Jace staring at me heatedly.

Oh, joy. I’ve pissed off the resident bad boy at my high school a second time. On my first day, no less.

Way to go, Tessa.

So, back to Anthony. He told me that our old group split up.

Christie’s a cheerleader, now. All preppy and bitchy, like Kaylee.

Anthony’s a manwhore.

Austin’s in prison for god knows what, but Anthony suspects drugs are involved.

Lucy’s in London, doing some modelling campaign.

Wow.

And I was in Australia, having the time of my life.

My attention snaps to Becks who’s chattering away about prom – six months away, Becks, six months – and god knows what.

Bed. My lovely bed.

Satin sheets. Goose-feather stuffed pillows.

Come to me, my precious.

Unbidden, Jace’s face suddenly floats into my head and I almost jump at the intrusion, startled. How can someone so hot be such a jerk at the same time?

Is this some cruel joke of Mother Nature?

Change of subject time!

Food.

Cheesy pizza.

Mmm. I’m hungry. This school does the best pizzas.

Jace.

No, go away – you’re mean.

Chocolate.

Jace.

Chocolate on Jace.

Mmm.

Chocolate on Jace’s abs.

Mmmm...

NO!

NO! NO! NO! NO!

EWWW – GET IT OUT – WHAT IS THIS!

Bleurgh. I need to throw up.

And maybe wash my brain with soap. Loads of soap. Strawberry scented.

Mmm, strawberries.

Oh, is that the bell?