one.

*note this story is all in rileys point of view unless stated otherwise*

i'm sadly woken up from a deep sleep when my daughter comes in my room, "mommy?" she asks sleepily, with fear in her voice.

"yes baby?" i reply half asleep.

"i had a bad dream can i sleep with you and daddy?" she mumbled and gave me her sad puppy dog eyes that always made me melt.

"of course court," i mumbled while shoving my face into my pillow.

just four years ago i've given birth to my beautiful girl, courtney. she sometimes was a handful, but she was my bundle of joy. i love her more than anyone...well almost more than anyone...

courtney quickly jumped between me and my boyfriend making him jump up as she got down, "what's going on?!" he yelled which made me flinch.

"ross be quiet i'm trying to sleep," i mumble.

"oh sorry baby," he replied kissing my forehead, "court why are you in here, princess?" he asked quietly.

"i had a bad dream daddy," she replied and sniffled – oh yeah.

i forgot to mention. i haven't seen james in years. after i gave birth to court he stopped contacting me, stopped giving her birthday presents and since he wasn't there and it was clear he didn't want anything to do with me – us, i fell in love with my best friend. and he helped me while courtney was a baby. i honestly never thought i would end up with him, i thought it would be james and if that didn't work out then jake. life does throw you twists and turns though.

jake always invites our little family to their big family gatherings but i never had the heart to tell courtney that her real dad isn't around, i know i have to tell her at some point but...she's just so happy with ross and i don't know how she will react.

suddenly i'm woken up from someone shaking me, "mommy! grandma is here!" courtney said cheerfully as she noticed i was awake.

i quickly got up, brushing my teeth then changing. i started to do my hair when ross walks in.

"you know, it would make you look ten times better if you left your hair down," he whispered in my ear as he wraps his arms around my waist, "just saying," he kissed my neck making me giggle.

"i can't be bothered to straighten or curl my hair, sorry," i chuckled as i finished my ponytail and went downstairs to see something i would have never expected...

"mom...why is he here?" i cringe at the fact that he's even in my house...and by he i mean james.

"he needs to talk to you. give him a chance," she gave me a stern look which made me look away, "now courtney, let's go shopping!" my mom always spoiled her...and i mean always.

"hey baby can you get –" ross began speaking then he saw james was here, "why are you here?"

"well i need to talk to your 'baby' in private if you don't mind?" james replied, maturely surprisingly.

"fine," he mumbled and came up to me, "come get me if he does anything alright."

ross then walks back upstairs leaving me and james in an awkward silence..i don't like it.

"so um..courtney is getting big," he said quietly while looking down.

"yeah she is," i smile as i think of my baby girl.

"she looks a lot like you now," he replied, "when she was a baby she looked like me but now she's looks like you...very beautiful."

i blush when he calls me that. i can't help it. it's an instinct to blush when you're complimented right? i love ross.

"yeah she is very beautiful," i sigh, "now there's something you want."

"can she know about me?" he asked almost immediately, "that i'm her father and that blonde playboy model isn't."

"wow and just when i thought you grew up," i mutter to myself hoping he doesn't here but he does and shoots me a glare, "well i'll think about it. she loves ross like he's her father and i like that. he's more of a father to her then you are."

"i still love you," is all he replied with. butterfly's forming in my stomach...but i have to be strong.

"okay. i love ross now james, you can be in her life but i want to wait until she will fully understand before we tell her that you're her biological father. even though ross is he real father to her."

james just nodded, he must not have wanted to start a fight. i don't blame him, i didn't either. i was tired of fighting with him.

"can we be friends?" he asked randomly after a few minutes of silence. i stopped and think for a bit. it wouldn't be that bad, i'm in love with ross and having another friend wouldn't be bad? i always felt safe around james, even though i feel safer with ross, but when ross isn't around james could protect me and court right?

"sure i guess," i reply shrugging then he mumbles...

"now will you come back to me, at some point?"