Chapter 6

"Thou calledst me a dog before thou hadst a cause,
But since I am a dog, beware my fangs."
William Shakespeare, The Merchant of Venice

After having been thoroughly searched and stripped of most of my weapons, I felt completely vulnerable. I noticed a few Sentinels guarding the honorary Jedi seats. Other guards were posted at various entrances and exits, and some walked routinely around their stations. If I was any other place but the Republic Senate, where I would have to testify in front of thousands of politicians, I would have run from the claustrophobia and the sheer amount of people.

The Senate floor was bigger than any single room I had ever seen, and Nequek had some vast rooms. I was surprised at how many people were there. Though, I suppose that 3-4 politician from every political party on every planet meant a lot of people. I couldn't walk four feet without running into a senator or representative or a member of some foreign royal family.

Senator Bail strode next to me with a casual saunter. He carried a data pad. "The Chancellor has dubbed this case Organa vs. Atell. It is not the first case to bear my name, but it will certainly be the most interesting."

I gave him a sideways glance. "Voe Atell?" I questioned, remembering one of the senators at Senator Amidala's dinner party.

He nodded curtly. "She is quite ruthless. I have never met a less sympathetic woman."

With that happy note, he led me into a disk and gestured to a chair. I sat, waiting for it all to begin.

My highly trained gaze darted from person to person. I hated large numbers of people. I could see the colors and feelings radiating off of each and every one of them. With so many humans and humanoids clumped together, my head began spinning, every individual emotion blending together in an unintelligible pool.

I felt my breath hitch when I could no longer distinguish one person from another, their bodies melding together in the Force. Immediately, all the feeling of uncertainty clouded by already-doubtful mind.

I focused my anxieties and frustrations, leaning toward the Dark Side to grant me momentary clarity. For a second, it did, and I felt calm and assured. I blamed the rules for my Dark Side restrictions. The Jedi forced me to suffer.

Master Thraina once told me that people were overwhelming. Since I naturally saw and understood people's auras, she told me that people would be more overwhelming. Why couldn't people just be whelming?

My eyes dropped to the floor. Still, I could not quite shut out the emotions that seemed to magnetize to me. I focused on deep breaths and tried to shut off my curse of a gift.

Auras were always like a deep fog to me, swirling in mists, readable by how thick they were and how far away they strayed from their owners. When they were close enough to invade my personal space, I felt too involved in everyone. Too many thoughts. Too much information. I intruded on people, and I felt like they dumped every issue on me.

I heard Senator Organa's voice through an echoing whisper. "Are you ready?"

More time had passed than I had been aware of. Before I could reply, I felt the pod drifting toward the center of the room.

Faces, thoughts, and colors clashed intrudingly upon me. "Hello," I said softly, clearing my throat. I could barely hear my own voice, but I focused on that and that alone.

I clenched my fists as if I could feel the blue burns traveling through me like they did on Nequek, forever scarring me. Remembering my mission, that I was pleading of all Dark Jedi, helped my focus. I had to stop thinking of my own discomfort. I had to show the Senate what they were truly doing.

"Thank you, Chancellor," I began, remembering my script. "I am Dark Jedi Padawan Arrainne Skywalker. I have served among the Dark Jedi for years, but never before have I witnessed such hostility as in the Senate. We Dark Jedi are an accepting people, pushing everyone to follow their own goals and aspirations. Why, then, have we been forced to change our ways to suit the views of narrow-minded people such as the Jedi?"

I paused, looking at the senator, who burst a brilliant shade of deep purple that I had never seen before. I had never felt such hope and pride in a single individual. "Whether or not you know it, the Dark Jedi have protected the galaxy in ways that no one else can.

"I plead with you," I finished. "I come to you not as the savage you believe me to be. I am here to fight for my rights as a person, and, on top of that, someone who is willing to help the Jedi Order and the Republic in their plights. Thank you."

At first, I thought I had messed up. The room had gone more silent than I had ever heard of. Not even the cooling systems made a sound.

Then, I heard a clasp of hands. Turning, I locked eyes with the Chancellor. He clapped again.

Before I knew it, most everyone on the floor was cheering for me. Senator Organa put his hand on my shoulder. I could just hear his voice over the applause. "I hope this is the start of a long and prosperous friendship."

I only nodded.

Maybe now my friends and family could live a safe and healthy life on Coruscant.

•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•

A new document was being transcribed, one that would prohibit a certain ethnic group from being denied certain privileges or have regulations on them based on religion or philosophy.

To avoid the Jedi, Bail invited my to a brief 'meeting' in his office. Despite the amount of people I had been forced to deal with, I would rather have gone with him than back to the Temple.

He popped open a bottle of, what I assume was, Alderaanian wine. He poured two glasses and handed me one. "To our first great victory!"

Before I could remind him that I was technically underage, I said cheers and drank the whole thing. I was not sure if there was a drinking age on Alderaan, but Senator Organa did not seem to care.

He gestured for me to sit in his sitting area, and he took a chair opposite me. "Can I ask you a question?"

I furrowed my brow, not sure what to expect. "Of course,"

"Will you answer honestly?" He continued.

I smirked. "Is that your question?" His eyes displayed no humor, despite his good-natures smile. "I promise. I have nothing to hide."

Bail set down his glass, which I should have taken as a sign that her was serious. "Are you all right?"

At first, my initial response was confusion. What did it matter if I wasn't perfectly fine, and why would anyone care? Even if I wasn't all right, there was no point in admitting it. I would just make someone feel bad for me.

Then I wondered aloud, "Why do you ask?"

"During Senator Atell's testimonial," he explained, "You seemed unfocused. When I was younger, I used to hate speaking in front of people."

I gave him a disbelieving look.

"It's true," he insisted with a modest smirk. "But I would get so upset when I was forced to deliver a speech or talk to a group. Several of my friends hated it, as well." He sighed. "I guess what I am trying to say is: I have never watched someone suffer an anxiety attack like yours so quietly."

For the second time, my brow knit. "I don't have anxiety." I insisted.

His folded hands flew up in surrender. "Most of us politicians have experienced something of the sort. I think I know it when I see it."

Which brought me back to the question: was I all right?