Adventure of a Lifetime

The moment we walked inside the airport, hindi na kami nag usap ni Gabi. Parang bigla akong naubusan ng sasabihin kahit ang daming tumatakbo sa isip ko. Waking up this morning with her in my arms made me want to think of everything that happened since I decided to organize the volunteer work.

It was never my plan to feel this way, nor to even be this close to Gabi's world. I hoped to see her. But never have I imagined that we'll end up going on an adventure together. Never in my wildest dreams have I thought that she'll be sleeping beside me and I'll feel forever in my arms. And, honestly, I feel scared. All these thoughts, feelings, moments- they're overwhelming. I don't know what to do with them.

I wanted to silence my thoughts so I put my headset on and played music from my phone. I walked ahead of Gabi. I tried my best to keep her away from my sight, 'coz every time I steal glances, my mind goes in complete chaos again. Even if I could feel her staring at me, I didn't look back. I was able to silence my thoughts, but the guilt echoed in my chest.

We sat a seat apart from each other in the waiting area. I placed my bag on the empty seat between us. I turned up the volume of the music.

"What are you listening to?" Gabi pulled one end of the headset and placed it on her ear.

I wasn't able to stop myself from turning to her. And that's when I realized how big of a mistake it was, because she was facing me. Her face was so close to mine. It felt like my heart was on my throat. I couldn't speak.

"You really love Coldplay, noh?" She asked with a smile.

"Yeah." I said simply.

"What's your favorite Coldplay song?"

"Madami eh." I tried to sound dismissive.

"Enumerate." She prodded.

"Madami talaga."

"Fine. Kung mag concert ang Coldplay dito, what's that one song you'd pray for not to be dropped from their set list?"

"Madami."

"Anong song? The Scientist? Fix You? Magic? Paradise? Viva la Vida? Speed of Sound? Yellow? Hymn for the Weekend? Always in My Head? Ink? Charlie Br-"

"Amazing Day." I blurted. "I like Amazing Day."

"Talaga?"

"Yeah."

May sasabihin pa sana sya pero in-announce na na kailangan na namin mag board. I took my bag and helped Gabi with hers. I let her take the window seat. When we were both settled, I put my headset back on. I just want to straighten my thoughts kahit hindi ko naman talaga alam kung paano. Naguguluhan talaga ako. Bakit ngayon ako nagkakaganito? Usually, when I want something, I just go for it. No hesitations. So why am I feeling confused now? Bakit parang natatakot ako? Scared of what I am feeling. Dahil ba hindi tama 'to?

I was still in deep thought when the plane took off. 10 minutes over the clouds, Gabi removed her seatbelt and stood up. Almost everyone on the plane stood as well. I tokk off my headset. There was something going on at the front. I stood up to see what's going on.

And there they were. A couple. The guy on his knees with a small red velvet box containing a ring that might have cost him a couple of hundred thousand. The girl was in awe. And then a nod. I guess the deal was sealed. They're engaged. One step closer to forever. The crowd cheered. I clapped a few times and then sat down again. Gabi still looked mesmerized. I could see how happy she is- and that made my heart beat faster. My mind is in chaos again.

Gabi finally sat again. I rest my head back and closed my eyes. I took a deep breath in the hopes of getting my silence back.

"She's so lucky." I heard Gabi say. "They're both lucky."