Chapter 5

We walked for ages. Matt grew heavier and heavier, but I didn't say anything to Luke. It was getting close to evening when I decided we needed to stop.

"Where should we stop for the night?" I asked Luke. He and Matt rode around the country side. I was hoping he would know of somewhere.

"There's a river close to here," He replied, taking advantage of our brief stop to drop the pack on the ground. "There's trees for firewood and shelter."

We set off towards said river. I hoped that it hadn't been poisoned.

We got to the river, as the sun was beginning to set. The sky was spectacular, the red hues setting the sky on fire as the enormous star dropped below the horizon.

I laid Matt on the sandy bank and checked his vitals; inwardly thanking the safety course work had made us do. His pulse was normal, but he had become flushed with fever. I chewed my lip trying to think of what to do next.

"Here." Luke said, elbowing me out of the way. He spread a blanket out on the sand, and together we made Matt comfortable, complete with a little pillow made out of a jumper.

With that done, we pulled our shoes and socks off, and soaked our feet in the river. It looked like a normal river. Well, it didn't put off any weird smells of colors, so I assumed it was ok.

"Where do you think Mum and Dad are?" Luke asked, his voice trembling.

I didn't say anything. I didn't want to get his hopes up.

We sat together in silence, watching the sun sink through the blood-soaked sky