Chapter 16

I made the decision that night as I lay in my blanket, looking at the stars that struggled to shine.

I had to leave.

I couldn't stand being around Alec anymore. I had let my guard down and he'd pounced. I needed to get away, even if it was just for a little while.

I slid out of the blanket, trying not to disturb Luke who had cuddled in beside me again. He sighed, rolled over and immediately settled back into his dreams. I stood up, looking around. Everyone was rolled into blankets (though we didn't need them with the abnormally hot weather) and sleeping heavily. I didn't bother taking anything with me; I would find what I needed as I went.

I watched Luke and Matt sleep for a bit, before heading off. I carefully slunk past

Tex who was on watch. Just as I passed one of the small fires, a figure sat up in his blanket.

Alec.

I froze. If he saw me, he would stop me. Luckily he couldn't see further than a few meters because of the firelight. I swear he was staring at me though. Accusingly.

After a few agonizing minutes, he laid back down and went to sleep.

Out of the skate park, I breathed a sigh of relief. I didn't have to worry about anyone but myself. Luke and Matt would be taken care off. They would forget about me soon enough.

I knew that was a lie, but I shut away the pain of leaving them.

Where to go? I asked myself.

I wandered through the streets, the skate park falling into the distance behind me. Soon I couldn't see it at all. On a whim I began to run. I ran further and further, feeling my heart rate soar.

I was running straight into heartbreak.

I didn't know that of course. I thought I was running away from one.