Chapter 20

I eventually ended up at the old airfield. I say old because it was a complete, utter mess.

The control tower had sunk across the runway, and the airfield was littered with Boeing 74-Whatevers. I was never that interested in planes. For the first time, I was able to feel the immense destructive power of the lava veins. It had flipped these planes over like toys. I shuddered at my memory of the building collapsing on me, back at the beginning.

A hot breeze brushed the tarmac, kissing my cheek before it swept into the night sky. On a normal night, this place would have been a hive of activity, noise everywhere. Now it was silent save for the still-wailing siren in the city somewhere.

I made a mental note to find it and disable it sometime.

I wandered across the tarmac, no specific destination in mind. I eventually found myself at the steps of an enormous airliner, which fallen over in the confusion. Its left wing had snapped off, allowing it to slump against the ground. It looked sad, forlorn. Once a majestic soarer of the skies, it was now destined to rust on its launch pad. I eyed off the open door before climbing inside.

It was difficult to explore, but I managed. Everything was tilted, but I steadied myself using the overhead lockers. I hunted around; searching for food, but it looked as though it had just been cleaned.

I'd just climbed into the cockpit when I heard it; a small thud out in the seating area. My breath caught in my throat, adrenaline flooding my veins.

In a snap instant I saw what it was like to be a predator. Fear sharpened my senses. I could hear the breathing of the intruder, the slight thudding of his heart. There was a primeval urge to bare my teeth, which I resisted. I was standing so still that I didn't need to breathe. With my mind thinking at impossible speeds I realized who was responsible for the noise.

Apocalyptians.

I mentally cursed myself. I'd been so busy exploring and thinking about Fletcher I'd forgotten all about them! I was about to pay severely for my mistake. The cockpit only had one way out.

As quietly as I could, I made my way to the entrance of the cockpit, drawing the knife I had never used. I would have to hope that I could over power them before they got me.

Another thud, I squeezed my eyes shut for a second, willing my heart to slow down. I was trembling with fear.

I heard the curtain brush against skin and I leapt. I pinned the stalker to the other side of the doorway, my knife at his throat ready to slice it open.

"Let me go!"

I froze.

"Alec?" I whispered.

He struggled to be free, but I held him, unable to believe it.

"I'm not going to hurt you, Lyla. Please let me go."

I let him go, keeping my knife at the ready. I had no idea why he was here, now.

"How did you find me?" I demanded. I couldn't look at him.

"I've been following you ever since I saw you running down the street yesterday. I've been looking for you since you left." He told me.

I sheathed the knife.

"Why are you here?"

"We need you to come back." He tried to make me look at him, but I jerked my chin away.

"Don't touch me," I snapped. "Why should I come back? After you humiliated me like that... The reason I left still stands now."

"I don't want you to come back," He hissed. "I said 'we'. Everyone needs you."

I tried to pretend his words hadn't cut into me.

"Why?"

He sighed, running his hand through his dark hair.

"The Apocalyptians have found us. They're going to kill usall."