Chapter 19

Fletcher died that night. After hearing me answer yes, he peacefully closed his eyes.

I thought he was sleeping at first. But then slowly I realized and the pain set in.

It cut me right down deep in my soul. My heart broke, but that was almost a physical pain, easy to deal with. My soul broke along with it, and I screamed from the pain.

When he had asked me to be with him, I had envisioned a few weeks of relative happiness. He must've known he was going to die that night.

I sat with him for hours, willing to wake up as the tears streamed down my face. His fingers grew cold in mine, and I dropped his hand.

"I have to leave now," I told him. "I won't be coming back."

Of course he was silent. I bent down and kissed him on the cheek. And then I grabbed my pack and fled.

I headed down a destroyed street, crying. I must've left a little trail of drops behind me. Even though I had only known him for a short time, I had opened up and told him everything. He had helped me understand why I had left. We had, impossibly, become friends.

And now he was gone. Again I was alone.

For a few seconds I considered going back to the skate park. I decided against it for excuses I didn't bother coming up with.

I walked for hours. My feet were complaining, but I didn't botherstopping. I knew that if I stopped walking I wouldn't be able to start again.So instead of stopping, I started running.