Chapter III

So shall his life be taken away

before he knoweth that he hath it.

-Charles Mackay

Outside, it was indeed raining. Great. She walked through rows and rows of brown houses, each one exactly the same: brick walls, old doors, two stories high. Two bedrooms on the second floor, one for the parents and one for the children.

She imagined how difficult it must be to move around Onixyade if you weren't born and raised here, although no strangers came here. Still she wondered what would happen if you didn't know to rely on the trees' bare branches to recognize the streets, or if you didn't know to look for the worn down numbers on the houses' sides.

But again, if you weren't born in Onixyade, why would anyone come here?

For some reason, she wasn't angry at the two boys who had gotten her in the mess she was. She kind of felt bad for them. They looked tough, but they were so easy to push around. Anyone could get advantage from that. And they would have no idea.

She was just fed up with Atticus. She was tired of how he always found a way to pin the fault to Alessandra.

While she walked through the streets, she thought of what to tell Sophie's parents. It shouldn't be hard to convince them of his violence, she was the bleeding proof, and then make them feel sorry for her and take her in for the night. But it still felt wrong.

Technically he didn't really touch me.

But he would've had. It makes no difference. It was the right thing to do, standing up to him. Someone had to, the Alessandra with an accent whispered in her ear.

But, was it? Maybe I should have just kept quiet. Maybe, maybe-

No. No, no, no. No more. Not any more.

She talked to herself sometimes. It was the lack of people whom to trust, she thought. Having close to no one to talk to.

She got to the Atkins's house, knocked, and Sophie appeared on the doorframe three seconds later. Almost like she was waiting for Alessandra to show up. She looked at Alessandra's wet clothes, the red marks on her arms the steps had left, and blood running down her fingertips. She walked in and Sophie hugged her. The girl smelt of flowers. She hadn't noticed how sore she was until then. They stayed like that until Mrs. Atkins came asking who was knocking. She hadn't even realized she was crying until Sophie handed her a tissue.

"Honestly, I can't believe it", Mr

"Honestly, I can't believe it", Mr. Atkins said. He happened to be there, having dinner with Sophie and her mom. They got along very well, despite not being together anymore. Alessandra wondered whether it was for Sophie's sake. "He always seemed so civil".