Chapter XXVIII

Why bewilder her with roses,

That she cannot see or smell?

She is happy where she lies

With the dust upon her eyes.

-Edna St. Vincent Millay

She woke up. What had happened?

"Morning", Dmitri said from the doorframe. He was wearing the clothes he had lent her when she first met him, and he had a smile that lit his whole face up.

His eyes danced, as did the butterflies in Alessandra's stomach. She couldn't keep herself from smiling back.

"Morning".

"How are you feeling?"

Alessandra considered this.

"Good" she said sincerely.

"Have you thought about my offer?"

Alessandra had been decided to say no, to even run away from Dmitri, from Antupainkia.

Why would she have wanted that? She saw clearly now, it was a great idea. She was honored.

She thought about living forever with Dmitri, and about being his Queen. She was actually thrilled. Why hadn't she liked this idea before?

She felt something tugging at the back of her head, uneasiness. Her skin had gooseflesh, like it was aware of something she wasn't. It was a stupid thought she quickly pushed away.

"I have".

"And?"

"I will gladly be your queen", Alessandra said with a smile. She felt lightheaded.

She was happy with the idea of living by Dmitri's side, helping to rule Antupainkia and learning magic. They could be a team.

The day went by

The day went by. Alessandra went to a counsel meeting with Dmitri, who made wise decisions she supported, even though for some reason, no one else did. When it was over, Dmitri asked her to wait outside for him and he and Tremaen stayed inside talking.

Alessandra couldn't hear exactly what they were saying, they where mostly whispering, but she heard Tremaen's loud voice once.

"How much can you change the way someone thinks, without changing who they are?" he asked Dmitri.

But that would make no sense, Alessandra probably heard wrong.

Afterwards, Dmitri took her to the cabin but he didn't teach her new spells, since she didn't need spells

Afterwards, Dmitri took her to the cabin but he didn't teach her new spells, since she didn't need spells. They just trained their minds.

Together.

Dmitri didn't use rosemary anymore. It made Alessandra happy to think she didn't need the extra concentration. She felt proud, but there was something tugging at the back of her head as well. A feeling that there was more to it.

She took a walk through the forest after they were done with the mind training

She took a walk through the forest after they were done with the mind training. Dmitri said he had some things to take care of, so Alessandra left without him.

She was walking next to the river when she heard Irvin calling for her.

The look of relief on his face warmed Alessandra's heart.

He ran to hug her, and she was amazed once again by his scales, the way they felt on her skin as he held her.

"Are you ok? What happened?" he said, holding her face in his hands, looking into her eyes as if he could find the answers there.

"What do you mean?"

"We were leaving to the outer islands, where the others are".

Alessandra blinked in confusion.

Yes, they were. Why would she do such a thing?

"Are you sure you're ok? You look strange" Irvin said, cautiously.

"I'm sure. I just changed my mind".

"You changed your mind?"

"Yes".

"Ollie said something had happened".

"Yes, something happened".

"What?"

"I changed my mind", she answered, teasing. Why was Irvin so worried?

Why was he staring at her like that?

"Ok, well, what's the new plan?"

"I'm staying".

Irvin stepped back, speechless.

"Why?" he whispered.

"It's what I want. To rule by him. To be his queen".

"Is it?"

"Yes".

"Then why are you crying?"

Alessandra touched her cheeks. They were completely wet. For how long had she been crying? Why was she crying?

Why did she have gooseflesh again?

"He did something to you", Irvin said, more angry than she had ever seen him.

"No he-"

"Yes, Alessandra, he did. We planned getting away from him for days and suddenly something happens, some emergency, and the next thing I know is you changed your mind? I don't think so. I don't think you changed your mind".

"What does that even mean, Irvin?"

"I'll free you, I'll find a way. I promise".

He hugged her again, kissing her forehead, got into the water and with a blue flick of his tail, disappeared.

What was that about?

Free her? From whom?

Nonsense, that's what that was.

Alessandra kept walking through the forest, touching the trees out of habit. But they kept saying funny things, things like "you need to wake up", or "open your eyes".

"You are not thinking straight", one said.

And then she heard a whisper, a whisper that shook the ground, a whisper she was sure was Ollie's.

"You are strong," it told her. "Break the spell".