Chapter 2

I run across the quad keeping my eyes on Leo.  He pushes himslef off the van as I get closer and grins at me.  I can't believe it's really him.  We have only been able to communicate through iris message in the past months.  Leo had made it easier for me by putting an orange gemstone in my necklace that helps me communicate with him. 

I launch myself at him and he catches me.  I squeeze him in a hug and he does the same.  "Hey sweet cheeks."  He says. 

I laugh.  "I'm still not sweet." 

Leo grins at me then kisses me.  It feels like my body is melting in happiness.  

"Oh my gods I missed you so much." Leo says into my ear. 

"I missed you too."  I hug him tighter. 

"Wow Leigh," I hear Ivory behind me.  "I didn't know you were that much of a slut."  Ivory teases. 

I turn around to face her, my arms still around Leo's neck.  He keeps his arms around my waist. 

"Ivory," I strat.

"We're a couple" Leo states. 

I look at him then back at Ivory and nod.  "Oh. Em. Gee!" Ivory squeals. "This is that guy you always talk about!"

Leo grins at me.  "Always?"

I nod.  "Every single day."

He holds me in another embrace.  "We gotta go."  He says into my ear.  I nod and turn to Ivory.

"Can you tell the teachers I'm going to hand in all of my assignments next year because I gotta go."  I tell her.

"What? You're leaving?" Ivory looks shocked.  "But what about Philip's party?"

"I can't this my-" I start to make up an excuse.  

"Wait is this like, your family?" Ivory asks, realisation dawning on her face. 

"Exactly what we are, darling." Leo says impatiently. "Let's go." 

He grabs my hand and opens the van door.  I climb in and give one last glance at Ivory.  Leo closes the door behind him. 

"Hello Argus."  I call up front.

Argus turns around and all of the eyes on his body blink in greeting. 

I sit down beside Leo and he immediately wraps an arm around my shoulders.  "We have some news and that's why we could pull you out of school early."  Leo says in a low voice. 

"What?  What happened?" I ask, concerned.

"The borders around camp are weakened."  Leo holds me tighter.  "As you may know,  mortals have been paying us a few visits, for said, the best strawberries in the country." 

"Ivory said she went to Half-Blood hill this summer." I mention.

Leo nods.  "I remember her. But the borders permits mortals to pass, whats to say monsters aren't going to pass as well?"  Leo's voice picks up an agitated edge.  "We've had a few visit us, and let me tell you, it wasn't pretty."

I look him over.  "Is everyone ok?"

He nods.  "An Apollo kid was our only casualty."

"Apollo kid as in..."  I only know one Apollo kid.

Leo looks at me warily.  "Leigh-"

"Who was the Apollo kid?" I demand.  

Leo let's out a sigh.  "I'm sorry."

I push myself away from Leo and try to keep tears from spilling.  I let Leo pull me back into a hug.  Ace was a spy for Camp Half-Blood after he and another demigod named Anne kidnapped Leo, my half-brother Percy and myself.  Chiron had given Ace the punishment of becoming a spy for what he did.  I had worried about him all year. 

Ace had thought me everything I known about my fighting,  both hand-to-hand combat and with weapons such as my celestial bronze knife.

I sob into Leo's shirt.  I was probably the only one who ever forgave Ace after what he did, after all, he was one of my best friends.

Leo pats my hair soothingly.  "Listen Leigh," Leo says forcing me to make eye contact with him.  "He might not be with you physically,  but he'll always be here.  We all will."  Leo pokes my chest right above me heart. 

I lace my fingers through his and rest my forehead on his shoulder.   He rests his cheek on the top of my head. 

I keep my eyes closed for a long time.   I'm not sure if I fell asleep or what but I finally open my eyes when we arrive at the border.

Argus simply waves his hand and the border guard welcomes us to the United States of America. 

I rub my eyes and straighten out. "Was I asleep?"  I groan. 

Leo brushes my hair out of my face.  "I don't know,  you kinda stopped moving for a really long time."

"I'm sorry, I overreacted."  I sit up straighter.

Leo slips his hand behind my neck.  "You're only human." He says before giving me a kiss. 

We hunker down together in the back seat and sleep until we reach Camp Half-Blood.